Imagine how much he'd have been fined if they won!
The NBA will fine Jason Kidd a hefty $50,000, reports Adrian Wojnarowski.
Kidd purportedly asked Tyshawn Taylor, "hit me" during the last few seconds of the Lakers game. Taylor then put a shoulder into Kidd's chest, causing him to spill a drink on the floor, leading to an official timeout to clean up the resulting mess. The incident took place between foul shots by Jodie Meeks with 8.3 seconds left and the Nets down by 2. The Nets were out of timeouts and the delay also served to "ice" (literally?) Meeks. Meeks made the shot and the play designed during the official timeout led to a Paul Pierce open look on a three that missed and the Lakers won.
The whole incident was all caught on camera.
In the post-game press conference, Kidd made light of the incident while denying it.
"The cup slipped out of my hand," Kidd said. "I was getting tired. Sweaty palms. I was never good with the ball. So, in the heat of the battle, you’re trying to get guys in and out of the game, and the Coke fell out of my hand."
The fine will be the second penalty levied against Kidd by the league enforcement office. In October, he was suspended the first two games of the season after pleading guilty to a DUI. Ironically, the fine will be levied Kidd's former GM and golfing buddy, Rod Thorn, who heads the NBA's enforcement office.
- NBA to fine Jason Kidd $50,000 for spilled drink stunt - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- Jason Kidd of Brooklyn Nets to be fined $50,000 for intentionally dropping cup on sidelines - ESPN
- Starting Five: Gamesmanship or cheating? - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- The Moment: Jason Kidd calls for hit to spill drink, ice free throw shooter - Adam Reisinger - ESPN
- Kidd fined $50K for spilling drink to delay game - AP
- NBA fines Jason Kidd $50,000 for 'cup caper' - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets’ Kidd Fined for Spilling Soda - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- Cup-spiracy will cost Kidd $50K - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Report: NBA fines Jason Kidd $50,000 for spilling drink on court - Matt Moore - CBS Sports
- Report: Jason Kidd to be fined $50K for intentionally spilling drink on the court to stop play in loss to Lakers - Brett Pollakoff - NBC Sports
- Jason Kidd reportedly fined $50,000 for spilled drink - Kurt Mensching - SB Nation
- Report: NBA fines Jason Kidd $50,000 for spilling drink on court - Nate Scott - USA Today
- NBA fines Jason Kidd $50,000 for spilling soda on court in Nets game vs. Lakers - Mitch Abramson - New York Daily News