BROOKLYN - Toward the end of the Nets 99-94 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers, the Nets were down by one point with just over eight seconds to go. They had no timeouts left. So, what happened next? A delay of game because coach Jason Kidd had spilled a cup of "diet soda" with ice in it on the court.
This caused a stoppage in play, allowing for Kidd to huddle up with his players as they dried up the court. This also allowed for the team to "ice" Jodie Meeks, who had hit his first free-throw.
Devin Kharpertian asked Kidd after the game about the incident, and Kidd said the "cup slipped out of my hand as I was getting (Tyshawn) substituted." He went on, "Sweaty palms, I was never good with the ball."
Mike King, however, had video that showed another story:
Tyshawn was asked after the game and he said he wasn't paying attention when he bumped into Kidd, saying it was an "accident."
"I was coming out and he was in my way," Taylor said, adding, "I was like, 'Coach, get outta my way, bro!'"
Adding to the craziness (if such was possible), two Lakers infiltrated the Nets' huddle during the official timeout, watching as John Welch, the assistant coach, drew up a play! @MikeKing00, the same NetsDaily poster who first noticed the "hit me" sequence, picked up and tweeted out that one too! He will now be know as Eagle Eye Mike.
- Jason Kidd to Tyshawn Taylor: "Hit Me" " The Brooklyn Game - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Lakers infiltrate Nets huddle on final play call - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
Kidd discusses loss to Lakers (Video) - YES Network
- Botch and Soda - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets coach Kidd spills drink to get a timeout - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Jason Kidd denies premeditated spill (Video) - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York via ABC News
- Jason Kidd gets clever when he has to - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Did Jason Kidd intentionally spill soda on court so Nets could draw up a play? (Video) - Ben Golliver - Sports Illustrated
- Jason Kidd intentionally spills Coke cup on the court during Nets loss - Seth Highkin - USA Today
- Jason Kidd tells Tyshawn Taylor to hit him to force timeout (Video) - Matt Moore - CBS Sports
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to "hit me," spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Here's The Play The Nets Ran After Jason Kidd Spilled His Drink - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Toronto Raptors impressed by Brooklyn Nets coach Jason Kidd’s ‘genius’ timeout loophole: ‘That’s a player tactic’ - Eric Koreen - National Journal