Jason Kidd has brushed off the question for the past several days, but it is now official. Williams is still recovering from an ankle injury he suffered at the beginning of September. Williams was in a walking boot for about 2 weeks, but has been practicing with the team on a limited basis.
Along with Williams, new Net Jason Terry and Toko Shengelia will also be out of the contest. Training camp invite Gary Forbes was thought to be a scratch tonight, but he has not been ruled out.
The biggest issues are what the Nets chemistry looks like, as well as the offense. Kevin Garnett said at the Washington shootaround that the bonding begins now.
"I think that’s obviously the biggest question mark here, how soon we find or figure it out. It’s probably going to be key to all of this, how quickly these ingredients bond and mix," KG said.
As for the offense, it may be too early to see what it's going to look like, although it can't be much slower. The Nets finished next to last in the NBA with only nine fast break points per game (compared to 19 per game when Kidd led the Nets to their first Finals in 2002.)
Tim Bontemps of the New York Post and other Nets' beat writers have reported that the starters will only play about 12 minutes and Shaun Livingston will start in Williams' place, as expected.
Kidd says starters will play "12-ish" minutes tonight. Livingston, as expected, will start for Deron.— Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) October 8, 2013
[Ed. Note: Vote in the poll below to let us know what you're most looking forward to tonight.]
- NBA preseason schedule: New-look Nets open at Wizards - Rod Boone - Newsday
- What to expect in new-look Nets’ preseason opener - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets favored to unseat Knicks in Atlantic - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets look forward to using Kirilenko - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- W2W4: Nets at Wizards - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Starting Five: Goals for preseason - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Jason Kidd won't play starters much in opener - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game