It's finally here ... The journey of a thousand miles that begins with a single step.
Three and a half months after the Draft Day trade, the Nets will put on the black-and-white at the Verizon Center and let the league see what the fuss is about. Deron Williams will be in street clothes as will Jason Terry and Toko Shengelia, all of them nursing minor injuries or just taking precautions. Otherwise, the big news will be seeing Paul Pierce in something other than Celtic green, watching Kevin Garnett will himself once again and observing the coaching debut of Jason Kidd.
We know it's only preseason but it's the NBA, and it's back ... and it's on YES, starting at 7 p.m. Ian Eagle and Mike Fratello along with Sarah Kustok will be handling the game.
On Tuesday morning, KG said it's all part of the bonding. "It’s probably going to be key to all of this, how quickly these ingredients bond and mix."
The story lines are all there and so are the young Wizards. John Wall wants an All-Star berth and playoff experience. Bradley Beal wants to show off his shooting touch. Otto Porter would like to prove skeptics wrong but he's got a hurt right hip. So are Trevor Booker (right knee), Chris Singleton (left foot) and Emeka Okafor (neck). Washington's backcourt presents the youth and athleticism, the kind of challenges pundits think will define the Nets season. Can the Nets deal with a style that pushes the ball? Can they push it themselves, particularly without D-Will.
Shaun Livingston and Tyshawn Taylor, will split the duties at point. Marko Jaric and Jorge Gutierrez will get a look as well. In fact, Kidd said everyone will get some minutes. We don't think the first preseason game will set any pattern for rotations, but it will be interesting to see who gets minutes upfront, where the Nets are healthy.
Whatever happens, as long as they stay intact, it will be a great night. It's the NBA and its back!
- Brooklyn Nets Pre-Season Game Notes - Brooklyn Nets
- Washington Wizards Game Notes - Washington Wizards
- Brook Lopez: Kevin Garnett makes Brooklyn Nets defense better - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Kidd set for preseason coaching debut - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- Kidd: 'No nerves' for first preseason game - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Kidd excited for coaching debut - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Wizards castoff Blatche relishes role on Nets - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets’ Blatche explains Fifth Ave. skipping video - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Plumlee the Devil gets his due with Nets - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Plumlee Returns to Durham With Brooklyn Nets (Video) - GoDuke.com
- Brooklyn Nets' Joe Johnson recovering from plantar fasciitis - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets can't wait to test wings with new players - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets' second unit like another set of starters - Rod Boone - Newsday
- So the Nets play basketball today - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Tyshawn Taylor's most memorable "rookie duties" - Matt Stucko - YES Network
- Brook Lopez has seen it all - Jason Schott - Brooklyn Fans
- Kevin Garnett already helping Brook Lopez, Nets on defense - Larry Fleisher - Metro
- Nets set to debut in Washington - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- 10-7 Nets Practice (Slideshow) - Ben Couch - Brooklyn Nets
NBA preseason schedule: New-look Nets open at Wizards - Peter Woodburn - SB Nation
- Joe Johnson talks about excitement of first preseason game (Video) - Ben Couch - Brooklyn Nets
- Wizards prepared to host Brooklyn Nets - Washington Post