Jason Kidd's coaching career won't start on time.
Kidd has been suspended two games after pleading guilty to driving while impaired in July 2012, the NBA announced Friday. Kidd will be suspended for the first two games of the regular season. Kidd pleaded guilty this July, a year after he wrapped his SUV around a utility pole in Southhampton.
Kidd will miss the season opener vs. the Cavaliers in Cleveland on October 29 and the home opener vs. the Heat on November 1. Lawrence Frank, the lead assistant, is expected to handle the head coaching duties. Normally, a suspended player or coach is not allowed in the arena while suspended.
Nets' GM Billy King released a statement, saying, "The decision is consistent with what the league has done in the past and we look forward to Jason leading our team versus Orlando and the rest of the year." As noted, Kidd will make his regular season NBA coaching debut on Sunday, November 3, in Orlando.
- Brooklyn Nets coach Jason Kidd suspended for two games - ESPN
- NBA suspends Nets coach Jason Kidd 2 games for DWI; will miss 2 games of season - AP
- Jason Kidd suspended two games for DUI incident - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Kidd suspended 2 games over DWI - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Brooklyn Nets coach Jason Kidd suspended 2 games, will miss opener against Miami Heat - Stefan Bondy - New Yor Daily News
- Jason Kidd says he respects the league's decision to suspend him for DUI - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Jason Kidd suspended two games for DWI incident - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Jason Kidd Suspended for Two Games After DUI Plea - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- Nets’ Kidd Receives Two-Game Suspension - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- Jason Kidd suspended 2 games for 2012 DWI - Jason Patt - SB Nation
- Jason Kidd suspended for first two games for DUI - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Jason Kidd suspended from first two games as coach after DWI guilty plea - Kurt Helin - ProBasketballTalk
- Nets coach Kidd suspended two games after pleading guilty to DUI - Matt Moore - CBS Sports
- Jason Kidd suspended two games after pleading guilty in DWI case - The Point Forward - SI.com
Training Camp: Kidd has Faith in Deep and Experienced Staff - Lenn Robbins - Brooklyn Nets