The Nets beat writers have laid out their predictions on the team's season, wins, losses, MVP, surprises, questions, etc. Bottom line: the beats see only minimal improvement in the team's record, no more than five or six games, during the regular season.
Some are more traditional, like Tim Bontemps' prediction of 55 wins, with a likely loss to the Heat and LeBron James in the second round, the Eastern Conference semi-finals. Also, he's burrows down to make individual predictions, like "Deron Williams will once again average double-digit assists a night."
Others take a different tack, like Alex Raskin, who doesn't predict a number of wins, but gives best case and worst case scenarios along with a listing of each rotation player's "worriesome body part." Raskin's best case: top three seed. Worst case: the vets break down before the playoffs.
Everyone has questions about the head coach, Deron Williams and minutes for the veterans, but none are dismissing what the Nets did over the summer: go for broke. (Well, not actually broke, because even the Nets can't bankrupt Mikhail Prokhorov.)
And although he's not a beat writer, Sean Deveney of the Sporting News gets a special shoutout as the only writer we can find who's predicting the Nets will win it all, beating the Clippers. "Doc vs. KG and Paul. The storyline is too perfect, right?"
- Nets preview: Title or bust for new-look Brooklyn - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets predictions and what to watch for this season - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Surrounded by talent, it’s on Deron to play like a superstar - Mike Vaccaro - New York Post
- Breaking down the Nets: How Brooklyn with its new additions stacks up - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Kevin Garnett is Nets' leader of the pack - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Knicks, Nets set to take New York rivalry to new heights this season - Frank Isola - New York Daily News
- It all hinges on Jason Kidd education - Mitch Lawrence - New York Daily News
- Revamped Nets look like a championship team, and they won't settle for less - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett bring new attitude to Brooklyn Nets - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Deron Williams glad to be leading talented Nets - Barbara Barker - Newsday
- Nets Head Into Opener With Assortment of Aches - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- Nets season preview: Looking ahead to a team with championship aspirations - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- NBA Season Predictions: Will Miami win three straight? - Ethan Schorr-Parks - Star-Ledger
- NBA Season Preview: Nets Are Built to Contend. Are They Built to Last? - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
2013-14 NBA Season Preview: Atlantic Division - Ron Shaw - Bloomberg Sports
- NBA: Keys to the Nets' season - Steve Popper - The Record
- NBA preview: Steve Popper’s predictions for season - Steve Popper - The Record
- Lichtenstein: Brooklyn Nets 2013-14 Preview: It’s All Or Nothing - Steve Lichtenstein - WFAN
- 2013-14 BROOKLYN NETS: SEASON PREVIEW - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Player Previews 2013-14 - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game