Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett won't be on the court Wednesday night when the Nets face the Celtics in Boston, but increasingly, the two are making an impression on the team's personality. They take no prisoners, don't step back from any challenge.
"The potential is definitely there for us to be one of those teams that can be talked about in NBA history," Pierce said. "But it's up to us to go out there and show it, be healthy and make a great run, and then win a championship to be in those talks."
"I’ve always cared about the guy who’s struggling or the guy who’s going through something," said Garnett. "I’ve always tried to be a source of strength for anyone who’s on the team, and always leaned on guys for strength. I don’t know, it’s just who I am. It’s my makeup. If you ask my friends, they’ll tell you the same thing."
"We'll worry about us, we'll worry about getting better, and we feel like if we get to the playoffs and everybody's healthy, we have a chance to beat anybody."
Wednesday, their teammate Jason Terry will get his first preason minutes, but it's hard to tell who will be on the court with him. Pierce, Garnett, Williams, Andrei Kirilenko and Tornike Shengelia are definitely out. Newly signed guard Adonis Thomas hasn't joined the team and it's unlikely he will. He's bound for Springfield. That may not be the end of it. Kidd said a lot of his players will be resting.
Meanwhile, in Boston Gerald Wallace has been getting headlines for claiming his new teammates (and maybe a couple of his old ones) not giving the effort the team needs.
"I'm getting fussed at by the coaches every time," said Wallace. "They're trying to tell me to relax and ease up. But the main thing is I want the guys to compete. If we lose all 82 games, but we lose them going down fighting and competing hard. I can live with that. I can't live with losing and we didn't compete, we didn't give our best effort and we just gave the game away."
The game will be televised on both YES and ESPN.
- Brooklyn Nets: Pre-Season Game Notes - Brooklyn Nets
- Boston Celtics Game Notes - Boston Celtics
- Kevin Garnett's Voice Leads the Brooklyn Nets - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- Kevin Garnett changing Brooklyn Nets' culture - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Pierce, Garnett hope to lead Nets on title run - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Sleeping in Opponent’s Shorts? Chicken Before Games? Terry Has Rituals - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- Deron Williams tries to shake off rust in Nets' contact drills - Anthony Rieber - Newsday
- Celtics Gerald Wallace stands by his criticism of teammates - Mark Murphy - Boston Herald
- Vitor Faverani has earned playing time for Celtics - Baxter Holmes - Boston Globe
- Pierce, Garnett skipping preseason game in Boston - Baxter Holmes - Boston Globe