After hitting all three of his three-point attempts on Thursday vs. the Heat, reality entered Gary Forbes' locker room cubicle when the Nets informed him they had waived him Forbes, a 6'7" swingman who was raised in Brooklyn. He as jumped from one international league to another.
Forbes had just had his best game with the Nets when word came. Forbes had previously played for the Nuggets, Raptors and Rockets. Since leaving UMass, Forbes has also played in China, the Dominican Republic, Israel, the Philippines, Venezuela and Italy. A native of Panama, he has also played for the Panamanian national team.
The move leaves the Nets with two training camp invites, 6'3" PG Jorge Gutierrez and 6'6" SF Chris Johnson, both of whom have played well in spurts but have no chance of making the team unless the front office makes an unexpected move between now and the end of next week.
Gutierrez (Canton) and Johnson (Rio Grande Valley) are not eligible to be allocated to the Armor as ‘affiliate’ players. Per D-League rules, D-League team rights trump affiliate rights from an NBA team’s training camp. The Armor could if they wanted trade one or more of their D-League draft picks for the rights to Gutierrez and/or Johnson. The Armor have all their picks other than a second rounder in the eight-round dratt.
- Nets waive Gary Forbes - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
More from NetsDaily:
- Jason Kidd jersey retirement ceremony all about team
- Bogdanovic opens Euroleague play with a bang
- Nets waive Gary Forbes, leaving only Chris Johnson and Jorge Gutierrez among camp invites
- On a special night for Jason Kidd, the Nets defeat the Heat, 82-62
- 2nd Half Game Thread: Brooklyn Nets vs. Miami Heat