Howard Smith-USA TODAY Sports
The Philadelphia 76ers were no match for the Brooklyn Nets.
After a tumultuous news day, the Brooklyn Nets were more than happy to get the focus back onto the happenings on, not off the basketball court. Coming in riding a 3-game win streak, the Nets had to face a tough defensive Philadelphia 76ers team on the road. A matchup that, well, never really turned into much of a contest, as they dominated the boards (50-32) and the 76ers, winning 109-89.
Reggie Evans, who pulled down a personal high 23 rebounds in 26 minutes, made one thing clear in the post-game interview, telling YES Network, "This was the best third quarter we had played in a long time." And boy was it ever.
The Nets had a bit of a up-and-down first quarter, led by Deron Williams, who scored 10 points on 3-of-5 shooting. The rest of the team, however, wasn't so hot. They were lucky to carry a 26-24 lead into the second quarter, after shooting 42.9 percent from the floor and turning the ball over five times.
Somehow the Nets payed just an ugly first half of basketball, yet they entered halftime with a 48-47 lead, despite shooting just 38 percent from the floor -- to the 76ers 50-percent showing.
Credit Andray Blatche chipped in with 10 points off the bench in the first half. Evans was the first Net to pull down 16 rebounds in a half since Jayson Williams did back in 1997.and his effort, netting him 16 first-half rebounds, while
The Nets seemed to have forgotten their struggles in during the third quarter, outscoring the 76ers 35-14 and pulling ahead by 21 points, shooting 74 percent in the third. From there, it was less about the outcome and more about the Reggie Evans rebound watch.
After three quarters, Evans had 23 rebounds, while the 76ers pulled in 22 boards.
Unfortunately, Reggie didn't get to play in the fourth quarter, so he ended up with 23 total rebounds -- four shy of the Nets all-time record for most rebounds in a game.
Andray Blatche finished with 20 points and seven rebounds in 22 minutes, Williams ended up with 22 points on 7-of-11 shooting.
Really, there wasn't much to complain about on the Nets side of the ball. Outside of their slow start, they played well, and were near flawless in the third quarter.
The Nets have now won four straight games, outscoring their opponents by an average of nearly 15 points, 111.8 to 97. The 20-point margin of victory Tuesday was the second largest since Carlesimo replaced Avery Johnson. Of the Nets' six largest margins of victory this season, five have come in the last two weeks.
For more on the 76ers, see: Liberty Ballers
- Nets at 76ers - January 8, 2013 - Boxscore - NBA.com
- Nets vs. Sixers: First half (Video) - NBA.com
- Williams to Lopez (Video) - NBA.com
- Rebound and Three (Video) - NBA.com
- Wilkins Goes Reverse (Video) - NBA.com
- Nets vs. Sixers - Reggie Evans (Video) - Brooklyn Nets
- Carlesimo discusses 109-89 win over Sixers (Video) - YES Network
- Evans discusses his performance after win (Video) - Sarah Kustok - YES Network
- Joe Johnson discusses 109-89 win over Sixers (Video) - YES Network
- Brook Lopez discusses big win over the Sixers (Video) - YES Network
- Doug Collins post-game interview (Video) - 76ers.com
- Evans, Williams lead Nets to 109-89 win over 76ers - Dan Gelston - AP
- Nets Control Boards and 76ers - Zach Schonbrun - New York Times
- Blatche Questioned as Witness in Sexual Assault Case in Philadelphia - Howard Beck & Wendy Ruderman - New York Times
- Unfazed Nets dominate 76ers in third period for fourth win in row - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Blatche, Nets roll despite police investigation - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets' Blatche quizzed in sex assault - Reuven Fenton & Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Board game to Evans - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Deron Williams, Andray Blatche help Brooklyn Nets roll to four straight wins with victory over Philadelphia 76ers - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 109, Sixers 89 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- D-Will has confidence back - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Blatche stars despite off-court issues - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Rapid Recap: #Nets 109, #76ers 89 - Jam Mancari - SNY Nets
- Nets closing in on Knicks, PJ party continues in Philly - Jason Schott - BrooklynFans.com
- "Winning Brings Smiles": Nets 109, Sixers 89 (Game Grades) - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Sixers and Nets: Two teams on two very different paths - Eliot Shorr - The Star-Ledger
- Booger Nights: Sixers Picked Apart By Nets On Mark Wahlberg Night - Tanner Steidel - Liberty Ballers
- Nets vs 76ers Recap:Streak Continues - Nets Take Over
- Nets overwhelm Sixers, 109-89 - Philadelphia Inquirer
- Sixers overwhelmed by Nets - Tom Moore - Philly Burbs
- Sixers continue skid in home loss to Nets - Jason Wolf - Cherry Hill Courier-Post
- Instant Replay: Nets 109, Sixers 89 - Dei Lynam - Comcast Philly
- Philadelphia 76ers: Sixers fall to the Nets - Christopher Vito - The Times Herald
- First half game thread - NetsDaily
- Second half game thread - NetsDaily