Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
Blatche tweets he didn't do anything, "just in area" of alleged Philly assault
According to various reports out of Philadelphia, Andray Blatche was questioned Tuesday morning by the police in an alleged sexual assault on a 21-year-old woman that took place early Tuesday at the Four Seasons hotel in Philadelphia, where the Nets are staying. A police source told the Philadelphia Daily News the player "appears to be a potential witness and not a suspect" and NBC10 added that the player was in the hotel suite at the time of the incident, but was not in the bedroom where the assault is said to have occurred.
No charges have been filed.
In a tweet early Tuesday afternoon, Blatche appeared to confirm that he is the player being questioned and that he is not a suspect, writing, "Im ok and I didn't do anything jus was n the area when it happened." Later, he added, "getting ready for the game."
According to several reports, the woman said she was assaulted at a party at the hotel. After she reported the assault to police at 4 a.m., "several people" were brought to the Philadelphia Police Special Victims Unit and later released. Blatche, who was signed to a non-guaranteed deal in August, became fully guaranteed at 5 p.m. Monday.
The first report, out of CBS Philadelphia stated:
Police sources have confirmed that a member of the Brooklyn Nets basketball team and his associates are being questioned in connection with a sexual assault that allegedly happened inside a Philadelphia hotel.
According to sources, a 21-year-old female filed a complaint alleging that she was sexually assaulted inside the Four Seasons Hotel in Center City at about 4 a.m. Tuesday.
Later, NBC Philadelphia reported:
They are questioning a man inside a Four Season's hotel room regarding the incident. Police also say a Brooklyn Nets player was in the hotel suite at the time of the alleged incident but was not in the bedroom where it may have occurred.
The hotel itself has released a statement, per CBS Philadelphia:
The Philadelphia Police Department responded to a call to Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia early this morning (January 8). We are fully cooperating with the police investigation. We would advise all questions be directed to the Philadelphia Police Department at 215.686.3388.
The team has released a statement. From Billy King:
We are aware of the ongoing police investigation regarding a member of the Brooklyn Nets. We will have no further comment until the investigation has concluded. All of our players are available for tonight's game.
- Nets player questioned in alleged rape at Center City hotel - Philadelphia Daily News
- Sources: NBA Player Questioned In Alleged Sexual Assault At Center City Hotel - CBS Philly
- Brooklyn Nets Player in Suite Where Alleged Sex Assault Occurred: Cops - NBC 10 Philadelphia
- NBA player questioned in Center City hotel sex assault case - ABC 6
- Source: Cops Investigate Sex Assault Claim Involving Nets Player - FOX 29
Nets Player Questioned in Sexual Assault Inquiry - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Blatche questioned by Philadelphia cops about alleged sexual assault - Stefan Bondy, Christian Red & Michael O'Keeffe - New York Daily News
- Andray Blatche Questioned in Alleged Sexual Assault - Josh Newman - SNY Nets
- Brooklyn Nets Player Questioned Following an Alleged Sexual Assault - SLAM
It was after King's statement that Blatche tweeted his comment.