Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
Who's doing well since P.J. Carlesimo took over? Just about everyone.
In six games as head coach of the Nets (or as Mikhail Prokhorov has said, "P.J. is the coach") the Nets done well. it's not just the 5-1 record, including three straight, or the margins of victory, second, third and fourth biggest, or the signature win over the team with the best record in the NBA, the Thunder, on the road.
It's the individual achievements. Mirza Teletovic hadn't played more than 17 minutes in a game, and that was in a blowout loss to the Heat, and hadn't played at all in 16 games. Then in the last two, he played a total of 29 minutes, scoring 20 points, grabbing eight rebounds and blocking three shots. MarShon Brooks had a handful of DNP-CD's as well, but P.J. played him 26 minutes vs. the Kings and he rewarded his coach with a 15-point performance on 7-of-14 shooting.
It's not just the bench guys either as Mike Mazzeo points out Sunday. Here's his breakdown of before and after on the Nets three big stars...
Under P.J.: 16.7 points, 6.7 assists, 3.8 rebounds, 1.7 turnovers, 42.5 percent shooting, 44 percent 3-point
Under Avery: 16.6 points, 8.0 assists, 3.1 rebounds, 3.0 turnovers, 39.8 percent shooting, 29.5 percent 3-point (27 games)
Under P.J.: 23.7 points, 8.3 rebounds, 59.8 percent shooting, 1.8 blocks
Under Avery: 17.5 points, 7.1 rebounds, 50.2 percent shooting, 2.4 blocks (21 games)
Under P.J.: 18.2 points, 47.7 percent shooting, 36.8 percent 3-point
Under Avery: 16.9 points, 42.1 percent shooting, 37.3 percent 3-point (28 games)
It's not by accident. Williams in particular has spoken about the difference. "I think guys are definitely getting their confidence back, and we’re getting our confidence back as a team," D-Will said.
Rod Boone says it shouldn't be a surprise. He writes Sunday about P.J. Carlesimo Sr. and the mark he left on New York basketball.
- P.J.'s influence showing on the court - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- P.J. Carlesimo draws inspiration from his father - Mark P. Hermann - Newsday
- Under P.J. Carlesimo, Mirza Teletovic getting a second chance to make first impression - Kristie Ackert - NY Daily News
- Brooks gets back in groove for Nets - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- P.J.’s pick-and-roll works wonders - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Looking back: Complete team effort carries Nets past Kings - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets Get a Jump-Start - Frederick Dreier - Wall Street Journal
- In Carlesimo, Nets may already have their coach - Mike Monroe - San Antonio Express-News