USA TODAY Sports
The Nets got flat-out embarrassed by the Grizzlies.
And boy was this a game the Nets want to forget. There was, really, nothing to like. The Grizzlies put on an offensive clinic, while the Nets played sluggish on both ends. Oh where to begin, when you watch a team lose 101-77.
The game got off to a big-man's start. Lopez had seven of the team's first nine points, while Gasol and Randolph went for 12 of the team's first 19. Gasol finished the quarter with 12 points on 6-of-9 shooting, while the Grizzlies as a team shot 51.9 percent from the floor and out-rebounded the Nets 15-8. The Nets couldn't contend with their size, as the Griz took at 32-22 lead into the second quarter.
In the second, the Nets' bench did their best to try and claw their way back into this one, with a balanced attack, but it was just too much Jerryd Bayless, Chris Johnson and Tony Wroten, believe it or not. The trio of guards scored 22 second-quarter points. The game quickly got out of hand, after the Nets pulled to within six points early in the second. It was flat-out ugly.
Look at these halftime numbers, as the Grizzlies embarrassed the Nets, taking a 67-44 lead into the half.
I could go on. It was absolutely one of the ugliest halves in basketball. There was nothing positive to take away from this one, as the Nets showed nothing on either ends of the basketball court.
The Nets came out in the third and, it didn't get much better. At one point, the Grizzlies had a 30-point lead. The Nets did their best to pull the game within 20, but the damage had already been done. They trailed 85-67 at the end of the third. Which, you know, is an 18-point deficit against the NBA's top defensive team.
There wasn't much going on in the fourth quarter. Deron Williams banged his knee with Darrell Arthur and limped off the court, but he seemed to be OK. Again, you wish you could pull a positive from this one but... Well, the Nets did shoot 25 free throws to the Grizzlies' eight attempts. So, there's that.
This is embarrassing. It's like I bring my new girlfriend out (Nets) to meet old friends (Grizzlies) & she shows up lookin like a hot mess.— Tom Lorenzo (@TomLorenzo) January 26, 2013
For more on the Grizzlies, see: Straight Outta Vancouver
- Nets at Grizzlies - January 25, 2013 - Box score - NBA.com
- Grizzlies build early lead and defeat Nets 101-77 - Clay Bailey - AP
- Brooklyn Nets Stats - YES Network
- Nets vs. Grizzlies: First half (Video) - NBA.com
- Gasol Gets Fancy (Video) - NBA.com
- Rudy's Reverse Dunk (Video) - NBA.com
- Roaring Grizzlies (Video) - NBA.com
- Carlesimo discusses the 101-77 loss to Grizzlies (Video) - YES Network
- Lopez discusses the team's loss to the Grizzlies (Video) - YES Network
- Nets' booth discusses the loss to Grizzlies (Video) - YES Network
- Coach Hollins on win over Brooklyn (Video) - Memphis Grizzlies
- Grizzlies rout Nets from the beginning - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Deron Williams, Brook Lopez, P.J. Carlesimo don't understand Nets' All-Star snub - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets Blown Out by Grizzlies - Zach Schonbrun - New York Times
- Carlesimo’s Nets humiliated by Grizzlies - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets’ Evans irked Grizzlies left starters in - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets' won't stir pot about All-Star snub - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Brooklyn Nets' Reggie Evans calls out Memphis Grizzlies for playing starters in blowout - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- Rapid Reaction: Grizzlies 101, Nets 77 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Reggie rips Grizzlies after loss - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Rapid Recap: Grizzlies 101, Nets 77 - Mike Hamilton - SNY Nets
- Nets Clobbered In Memphis; Deron Williams Leaves Game With Quad Contusion - Moke Hamilton - SNY Nets
- Mauled Alive: Grizzlies 101, Nets 77 (Game Grades) - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Grizzlies take a bite out of Nets - Jason Schott - Brooklyn Fans
- Nets at Grizzlies Recap: Not Showing Up - Ed Boulanger - Nets Take Over
- Memphis Grizzlies end Brooklyn's winning streak, 101-77 - Ron Tillery - Memphis Commercial Appeal
Jon Leuer says it's 'definitely a privilege' to be traded to a contender - Ron Tillery - Memphis Commercial Appeal
- First half game thread - NetsDaily
- Second half game thread - NetsDaily