In a major surprise, no Nets have made the Eastern Conference All-Star team, reports Tim Bontemps.
After finishing 15th in the fan voting, Brook Lopez, the NBA's leading scorer at the center position, was seen as almost a sure bet for the All-Star reserves, which are voted by the league's coaches. It would have been the 24-year-old's first All-Star appearance and a real personal triumph for him following a season where he missed 61 of 66 games. Joakim Noah, Chris Bosh, Tyson Chandler and Kevin Garnett are the All-Star bigs.
Joe Johnson also had his streak of six straight games broken and Deron Williams, who said his early struggles made him unworthy of an All-Star berth, didn't make it either. Several pundits suggested that the Nets firing of Avery Johnson may have played a role in the coaches' voting.
Lopez is currently fourth in ESPN's player efficiency ratings and leads all centers in scoring at 18.6 points per game. He is also averaging 7.4 rebounds and 2.1 blocks, seventh in the NBA. For the season, he is shooting 52.1 percent.
Bontemps reports the Nets are the only one of 10 NBA teams over .600 winning percentage who came away without an All-Star. The last chance for players to be added to the roster is as an injury replacement. The commissioners office would make that call.
Billy King, who took a risk that paid off in signing Lopez to a max contract, tweeted, "I'm speechless." Nets fans were not. See below.
- NBA All-Star Reserves Selected Without Any Brooklyn Nets - Josh Newman - SNY Nets
- NBA All-Star 2013 snubs: Stephen Curry, Brook Lopez among biggest absences - Kevin Zimmerman - SB Nation
- No All-Star selection for Nets - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Brooklyn Nets stars Brook Lopez, Deron Williams and Joe Johnson left off All-Star team - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- 2 Knicks, 0 Nets in N.B.A. All-Star Game - Zach Schonbrun - New York Times
2013 NBA All-Star Game snubs and surprises - ESPN
- Barkley: Nets hated on - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- MarShon miffed at Lopez snub - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Brook Lopez should’ve been an NBA All-Star - Adi Joseph - USA Today
- Brooklyn Nets React To All-Star Snubs - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game