Debby Wong-USA TODAY Sports
After losing to the Hawks on Wednesday, the Nets look to get some revenge.
Former Net Devin Harris, in his Brooklyn debut, started and played well. He finished the game with 17 points, three rebounds and three assists in 32 minutes.
Deron Williams came out hot, scoring 13 first-quarter points and dishing three dimes. The defense, however, lagged, allowing the Hawks to shoot 57.1 percent from the floor, ending the first quarter in 29-29 tie.
In the second half, the Nets figured out better rotations, defensively, but struggled to distance themselves from the Hawks on the offensive side of the ball. Andray Blatche did come off the bench to score 11 points and pull down five rebounds in 10 minutes, but the rest of the bench contributed to just four first-half points.
Both teams entered halftime with 49 points apiece.
The third quarter started off with the Nets going on a 6-0, before the Hawks got going. The third became one of those "match bucket-for-bucket" quarters, as the Nets and Hawks finished the third knotted up at 74-74.
In the fourth, the game remained "ugly," so to speak, before Williams returned to spark the offense. Really, Williams was the difference maker in giving the Nets that final push in the fourth. There was no complete rhythm in the quarter, actually, but Williams did enough, especially in the final minute of the game by driving and drawing fouls.
And after a Josh Smith highlight dunk -- one that left my jaw dragging across the floor of the Barclays Center -- the Nets were eventually able to pull away, winning 94-89.
Reggie Evans finished with 20 rebounds, while Williams had 24 points and seven assists. Johnson had 18 points and three rebounds against his former team.
For more on the Hawks, see: Peachtree Hoops
- Hawks at Nets - January 18, 2013 - Box score - NBA.com
- Hawks vs. Nets: First half (Video) - NBA.com
- Nets beat Hawks 94-89 for home-and-home split - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Quickness (Video) - NBA.com
- Louis Williams Injury (Video) - NBA.com
- Wallace finds Blatche (Video) - NBA.com
- Hanging & Hitting (Video) - NBA.com
- Smith Bangs on Lopez (Video) - NBA.com
- Nets beat Hawks for home-and-home split (Video) - YES Network
- Deron Williams key in final minute for Nets (Video) - YES Network
- Reggie Evans grabs 20 rebounds in Nets' win (Video) - YES Network
- Joe Johnson scores 18 points in win over former team (Video) - YES Network
- Nets Hold Off Hawks in Rematch - Zach Schonbrun - New York Times
- Nets Run Win Streak at Home to 7 - Dave Caldwell - Wall Street Journal
- Deron Williams scores 24 as Nets top Hawks - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Joe Johnson says he's worthy to be All-Star reserve - Rod Boone - Newsday
- P.J. & Co. sound ready for Garden mics - Kevin Kernan - New York Post
- Lopez’s defense helps Nets topple Hawks - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Johnson helps clip old team - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 94, Hawks 89 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Brooklyn's big three paces Nets past Hawks - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Johnson on facing Knicks: 'We owe them' - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Rapid Recap: Nets 94, Hawks 89 - Moke Hamilton - SNY Nets
- Deron Williams and Brook Lopez Ensure Carlesimo’s Nets Get to 10-2 - - Moke Hamilton - SNY Nets
- Deron Williams puts game out of reach by sinking free throws - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- Joe Johnson makes strides as Nets pull away from Hawks, 94-89 - Mike Vorkunov - Star-Ledger
- Brooklyn Nets Down Atlanta Hawks: A Role For Every Player - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets, Lopez get back on track against Hawks - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Hawks vs Nets final score: Atlanta falters late, loses 94-89 - Kris Willis - Peachtree Hoops
- First half game thread - NetsDaily
- Second half game thread - NetsDaily