Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
The Nets have now won seven straight games, and are 9-1 under P.J. Carlesimo.
Gerald Wallace (ribs) remained out for the Nets, while Andray Blatche (illness) did dress and play. For the Raptors, Amir Johnson was dealing with ankle issues, which kept him out of the starting lineup, but he still did dress and play 25 minutes.
It was the combo of young bigs for the Raptors, Johnson and Ed Davis, that it was assumed would give the Nets fits in this one, and they were certainly a handful in this one -- at least early on -- but were quieted by the Nets defense in the second half. A defense that forced 13 Raptors turnovers.
Davis and Jose Calderon lead the Raptors on a nice fist quarter run, scoring 15 of the team's 27 first-quarter points. On the Nets side of the ball, it was Deron Williams and Brook Lopez who really got the offense started, scoring 15 points, with Lopez pulling down five rebounds. The first quarter ended with the game tied at 27-27.
The bench wasn't able to provide any distance, early on, for the Nets. They were out-played by the Raptors' second unit, finding themselves in a 10-point hole midway through the second. The Nets failed to make a FG until midway through the second, when Mirza Teletovic entered the game and sparked the team by hitting a corner three. From there, it was #Mirza time.
Teletovic hit two threes late in the quarter to give the Nets a 3-point lead. He finished the half with 10 points -- three threes.
The Nets carried a 54-50 lead into halftime.
Once again the Nets found some offensive magic in the third quarter. In fact, they've been playing so well in the third, we might have to retire the "3rd quarter struggle" as a thing soon. The Nets scored 29 points in the third, highlighted by some beautiful passing from Teletovic and nice low-post play from Lopez.
In the fourth quarter, the Nets slowly built up their lead, pulling ahead by 15 points early on the quarter and never looking back.
Kyle Lowry went on a little run midway through the 4th to make it interesting, but the Nets got good looks behind the three point line by Johnson (twice) and C.J. Watson to put the game away.
If you can say one thing about this performance, it's that this team truly is confident and playing some great basketball.
For the sixth straight game, the Nets bench has scored 30-plus points. And, yes, in those games they are 6-0. Teletovic had 10 points in 21 minutes, while Andray Blatche went for 14 of his own.
Deron Williams played 42 minutes, scoring 21 points, while Joe Johnson added 21 points and Lopez went for 22 of his own.
The concern, however, is that with the Nets' starting backcourt playing heavy minutes, they have to turnaround and play in Atlanta tomorrow night. I suppose we can cross that bridge when we get there.
For more on the Raptors, see: RaptorsHQ - Raptors Final Score: Lowry-led Comeback Falls Short, Lose to Nets 113 - 106
- Raptors at Nets - January 15, 2013 - Box score - NBA.com
- Raptors vs. Nets: Game Highlights (Video) - NBA.com
- Nets beat Raptors for season-high 7th win in a row - AP
- Play of the Day: Sharing and Scoring (Video) - NBA.com
- Up High and Down Hard (Video) - NBA.com
- Gray to Fields (Video) - NBA.com
- Gray Drops the Hammer (Video) - NBA.com
- Teletovic talks about the Nets' victory (Video) - Sarah Kustok - YES Network
- Carlesimo talks about the Nets' victory (Video) - YES Network
- Brook Lopez talks about the Nets' victory (Video) - YES Network
- Mirza Teletovic Helps Nets to Seventh Straight Victory - Zach Schonbrun - New York Times
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 113, Raptors 106 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Streaking D-Will, Nets set to begin real test - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets' winning streak continues despite uneven defense - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Hard work paying off for Reggie Evans - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Nets' Bogans revived with ‘joint’ effort - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Reserve Mirza Teletovic excels as Nets win seventh straight - Mark Herrmann - Newsday
- P.J. Carlesimo considers Deron Williams an All-Star - Mark Herrmann - Newsday
- Nets win streak extends to seven games as Williams, Johnson, lead team to win - Seth Walder - NY Daily News
- Fear Helps Nets to a Win - Dave Caldwell - Wall Street Journal
- Nets beat Raptors for their ninth win in 10 games under P.J. Carlesimo - Pete Caldera - The Record
- Rapid Recap: Nets 113, Raptors 106 - Moke Hamilton - SNY Nets
- Mirza Teletovic’s Best NBA Game Helps Nets Win Seventh Straight Over Raptors - Moke Hamilton - SNY Nets
- The Most Beautiful Brooklyn Nets Basketball Of The Year (Video) - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets find deja vu in coaching situation (Video) - Greg Hrinya - Examiner.com
- Nets vs Raptors Recap: Seven Straight! - Nets Take Over
- Toronto Raptors sputter to defeat in Brooklyn - Doug Smith - Toronto Star
- First half game thread - NetsDaily
- Second half game thread - NetsDaily