The Suns and Nets entered tonight's game on different trajectories, with the Suns having lost their last four games, scoring just over 84 points per game in that span, while the Nets entered the game winners of four straight, averaging a notch over 111 points per game.
The game didn't start off as planned for the Nets, but took advantage of a second-half offensive surge in order to win their fifth straight game, 99-79, marking the third straight game in which they won by 20 or more points, a team record. It also marked the fifth time in P.J. Carlesimo's short tenure that the Nets won by 15 or more.
Joe Johnson was battling the flu and was questionable to play in this one. Word came prior to tip that he would play, and despite the concern that he might be lethargic, Johnson was able to play 35 minutes and score 19 points on 8-of-19 shooting.
With the Suns boasting a 2-16 road record on the season, it seemed like a clear mismatch in favor of the Nets.
Midway through the first quarter, however, the Nets got a serious scare as Gerald Wallace was fouled by P.J. Tucker on a fastbreak dunk attempt, sending Wallace to the floor, landing awkwardly. The call was a Flagrant One -- initially, before it was changed -- while Wallace was helped off the court after spending a few moments on the ground, and taken to the locker room. He would not return. The Nets are calling it "bruised ribs," and said that X-rays were negative.
After Wallace was sent to the locker room, the Nets looked like a somewhat defeated team, struggling to stop the Suns on defense and get any fastbreak looks; a less active team, if you will. They trailed, after one quarter, 25-21.
The second quarter wasn't much prettier, as the Suns out-scored the Nets 28-25 and took a 53-46 lead into halftime. Brook Lopez was ineffective, scoring just five points on 1-of-8 shooting in the half.
Early in the third quarter things seemed to have gotten worse for the Nets, as Deron Williams seemed to have banged knees with Goran Dragic. He spent a bit on the court, limping, before being taken out of the game and heading to the locker room. He did return late in the third, though, as the team called it a "right thigh contusion."
In the fourth, the Nets remained steady, trying to keep some distance between themselves and the Suns, exploding offensively and taking advantage of the Suns missing layups and getting lost in their offensive sets. And after Joe Johnson hit back-to-back threes with 7 minutes remaining in the game -- giving the Nets an 18-point lead -- it was all over from there.
Williams played 35 minutes, posting 15 points and six assits, while Brook Lopez finished with 13 points and eight rebounds in 35 minutes, but shot just 5-of-16 from the floor.
MarShon Brooks finished with a season-high 17 points.
For more on the Suns, see: Bright Side Of The Sun
- Suns at Nets - January 11, 2013 - Box Score - NBA.com
- Suns vs. Nets: First half (Video) - NBA.com
- Watch: Gerald Wallace injures his ribs after taking a nasty spill (Video) - NetsDaily
- Brooks' Rack Attack on Gortat (Video) - NBA.com
- Joe Johnson leads Nets over Suns, 99-79 - AP
- Carlesimo on third-quarter surge, overcoming injuries (Video) - YES Network
- Lopez on sluggish first half, overcoming obstacles (Video) - YES Network
- Joe Johnson talks about his game, Nets' third quarter (Video) - Sarah Kustok - YES Network
- Nets' Wallace leaves with injury vs. Suns - YES Network
- Johnson Shakes off Sickness, Scores Game-High (Video) - Brooklyn Nets
- Gerald Wallace suffers bruised ribs, Joe Johnson scores 19 as Brooklyn Nets rout Phoenix Suns - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
Sebastian Telfair, former Lincoln HS phenom, returns to Brooklyn - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- Injuries aside, Brooklyn Nets enjoying healthy changes under P.J. Carlesimo - Filip Bondy - NY Daily News
- Nets Rout Suns With Third Quarter Blitz - Zach Schonbrun - New York Times
- Nets overcome deficit, injuries to win fifth straight - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Brooklyn extends win streak to 5 - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Wallace hurt after ‘ugly fall’ - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- The ‘B’ team gives Nets Sun screen - Anthony Sulla-Heffinger - New York Post
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 99, Suns 79 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Brooklyn Nets' Gerald Wallace leaves game with injury - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets Wake Up to Beat a Bad Team - Dave Caldwell - Wall Street Journal
- The Nets Aim to Bring Back the Noise - Dave Caldwell - Wall Street Journal
- Gerald Wallace injured on hard foul by P.J. Tucker (GIF) - Conrad Kaczmarek - SB Nation
- Second Half Dreaming: Nets Blow Out Suns, 99-79 (Game Grades) - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Rapid Recap: #Nets 99, #Suns 79 - Jim Mancari - SNY Nets
- Nets make franchise history, burn Suns for 5th straight - Jason Schott - Brooklyn Fans
- Nets Take Over: Nets vs. Suns Recap: Five in a Row - Nets Take Over
- Brooklyn Nets obliterate Phoenix Suns by score of 99-79 - Jim Coughenour - Bright Side Of The Sun
- First half game thread - NetsDaily
- Second half game thread - NetsDaily