Debby Wong-US PRESSWIRE - Presswire
Add Billy King to the list of people who think the Nets can win the NBA title this year, but he admitted it won't be easy. Still, King said that with the Nets new starting line-up, "Most nights, we are going to have the advantage."
"Can we win a championship? Yeah. But it takes luck to do that," King told beat reporters gathered at the PNY Center for an assessment of where the team is, days away from the opening of both training camp and the Barclays Center. He also said the Nets are a "playoff team ... on paper."
King admitted that the team doesn't have big name defenders but thinks that a strong defensive "system" can help.
The Nets GM also spoke about how off-season acquisitions were thought out, based on a team concept and versatility. "One thing we were trying to do was build a team. Every player that was added, was added for a reason."
Bottom line: "I brought players in but we haven’t played a game. At the end of the day, I did what I was supposed to do with my staff in putting together a team. Now it’s Avery and the coaches-they get to play the games and we get to evaluate and see if there’s tinkering that needs to be done to make it better.”
- Billy King on the past and future - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- King: 'Can we win a championship? Yeah' - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Pressure on Johnson to win - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- King: Don't judge Joe by his contract - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- King: Nets' starters can match anyone in NBA, title is within reach - Roderick Boone - All Nets
- Nets GM Billy King says team could win NBA title, if health, luck holds - Colin Stephenson - Nets Blast
- Nets general manager pleased with revamped roster - AP
- Billy King: “Most Nights, We’re Going to Have the Advantage” - Josh Newman - Zags Blog
- King Believes Nets Set for New Season - Ben Couch - Brooklyn Nets
- In Jersey, the Nets G.M. explains how Brooklyn changed everything - Howard Megdal - Capital New York
- Billy King meets with the media - Devin Kharpertian - Nets Are Scorching