Kathryn Kirk/Brooklyn Borough President's Office
Sunday's Post features a mix of nostalgia and excitement in its continuing coverage of the Nets' arrival in Brooklyn. Columnist Mike Vaccaro writes of the corner where Barclays Center sits, the same corner that Dodger owner Walter O'Malley coveted before moving to L.A. while Tim Bontemps writes of how place defines the Nets' future.
"After 55 years, Brooklyn is a major league town again," writes Vaccaro. "After 5 1⁄2 decades of so many stories trapped in yesterday, there is a sporting today and a sporting tomorrow worth talking about, and a sparkling new palace in which all of that future history will be played out. Five and a half decades after O’Malley broke Brooklyn’s heart, that heart beats ever louder and stronger."
"The days of being able to ignore the Nets are over," Bontemps writes, referencing the Knicks. "Instead, the Nets have become one of the most talked-about teams in the league." He also quotes Adam Silver on how he, like a lot of people in the league, have been surprised at how quickly the Nets have taken hold in Brooklyn and Mikhail Prokhorov on how the Nets will fight for the heart of every Knicks fan.
Meanwhile, the Post-owned Brooklyn Courier has a special 24-page section on the new arena. It won't be the last this week.
- Healing a boro’s broken heart - Mike Vaccaro - New York Post
- Nets finally have a stage big enough to earn respect - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
Brooklyn Nets' new playground (Video) - Anthony Gonsalves - New York Post
- Banking on Barclays - New York Post/Brooklyn Courier
- It’s open! Ceremonial ribbon-cutting marks Barclays Center debut - Natalie O'Neill - Brooklyn Paper
- Barclays Center Opens With Pride and Protests - Paul Leonard - Patch
- Barclays Center opens, transforming Brooklyn - Raanan Geberer - Brooklyn Eagle
- Slide Show: Ready or Not - Victor J. Blue - New York Times
- Slide Show: Nets open Barclays Center in Brooklyn - Patrick E. McCarthy - New York Newsday
Barkleys Center Opens Its Doors (Video) - Tracie Vaughn - WNBC