Adam Pantozzi/Brooklyn Nets
With Bruce Ratner and Mikhail Prokhorov sitting alongside the the mayor of New York City, Barclays Center opened in the heart of Brooklyn, the first of several opening ceremonies that includes Jay-Z's concert on September 28 and the Nets opening game vs. the Knicks on November 1.
Prokhorov in comments said he expects the team to be worthy of the arena and the borough. "Not everyone, in their lifetime, gets to witness an event that changes a city," Prokhorov said. "Maybe those who witnessed the building of the Brooklyn Bridge could say that. I assure you, we are bringing a team that is worthy of this great arena and this great borough."
Prokhorov, who credited Ratner with being the hero of the day, stuck with his promise of a championship by 2015. "Every team has a grand plan, and we're moving slowly, step by step, because it's easy to make a strong team, but it's very difficult to make a championship team. So we are on the right way and I'm expecting our championship within three years now," Prokhorov told reporters.
Meanwhile, Billy King said he believed the Nets have something to prove after their off-season and Brook Lopez said he was impressed by the number of players who have shown up at the PNY Center. They and Bobby Marks were the highest profile members of the team's basketball operations department on hand.
- Nets Cut the Ribbon on the Barclays Center - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Prokhorov Talks of Title at Unveiling of Barclays Center - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Prokhorov sees title for Nets within three years - Rod Boone - New York Newsday
- Brook impressed with Nets' early turnout - Rod Boone - New York Newsday
- Photo Gallery: Nets open Barclays Center in Brooklyn - Patrick McCarthy - New York Newsday
Musings from an impressive arena - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- Nets owner's comments at Barclays Center ribbon cutting - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- The Doors Are Open In Brooklyn - John Schuhmann - NBA.com
- Barclays Center Opens in Brooklyn (Video) - NBA.com
Is Brooklyn in the House (Video) - NBA.com
- New Arena, New Brand: NBA's ‘Brooklyn’ Nets Are Cool - Brian Schactman - CNBC.com
Barclays Center officially opens doors in Brooklyn - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Barclays Center opening -- New Jersey Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov promises title soon - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
King: Nets have something to prove - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Photos: Behind the scenes at the Brooklyn Nets' new Barclays Center - ESPN
Prokhorov Speaks, Expects Championship (Video) - SNY
- Ribbon cut at Nets' new Brooklyn home - AP
Pro sports returns to Brooklyn as Barclays Center opens - AP
- A glance at Brooklyn's new Barclays Center arena - AP
Nets' Prokhorov reiterates championship timetable - Sports Xchange
NBA Nets owner opens new arena with title expectations - Agence France Presse
Mayor: With Barclays, Brooklyn has 'arrived' - Ali Elkin - Crain's New York Business
As Jay-Z Preps to Christen Barclays Center, Brooklyn Celebrates Return of Pro Team - NBC New York
- Barclays Center Photo Tour - Business Insider
Welcome to the Barclays Center (Video) - Alyonka Larionov - Brooklyn Nets
Davidson: Barclays Is a Ready-Made Monument - Justin Davidson - New York Magazine