July 9, 2012; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Team USA guard Deron Williams during practice at the UNLV Mendenhall Center. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-US PRESSWIRE
LeBron James wanted no part of any questions related to the Nets future. "Nope" he answered after Team USA practice when asked had he thought of how a Big Three of Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Dwight Howard might fare in the NBA.
Williams was not so reluctant. "He's one of the top five players in the world and there's nobody like him in the NBA," said Williams of Howard. "That's the way you got to go right now to compete with Miami ... Of course I'm going to welcome that trade. If it doesn't happen, I think we have a great group."
Asked about his own decision, Williams again said that without the Joe Johnson trade, he may not have stayed. He credited Billy King with making bold moves to keep him and move the team in contention. "He made some bold moves. He took on some contracts people thought were questionable. I think ultimately it will pay off."
Meanwhile, little seems changed as the four teams approach the July 11 deadline. Reports indicate that the Bobcats are willing to step in, under certain circumstances, to fill the void if the Cavaliers decided they'll pass on Kris Humphries. Similarly, the Clippers are mulling whether to join the mix by accepting MarShon Brooks in return for a draft pick.
- Deron Williams hopes to team up with Dwight Howard - Al Iannazzone - New York Newsday
- Williams not caught up in Howard trade talk - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Nets' Deron Williams relieved to be out of free agency - Jeff Zillgitt - USA Today
- Dwight Howard waiting game continues as Nets, Magic look to finalize deal - Sam Amick - Sports Ilustrated
- NBC Sports: Dwight Howard trade rumors swirl (Video) - Adrian Wojnarowski - NBC Sports
- Sources: Nets recruiting fourth team to facilitate Dwight Howard trade - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
- Dwight Howard trade moves closer to completion - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
Charlotte Bobcats might get Kris Humphries in complex deal - Rick Bonnell - Charlotte Observer