Sometime in the next week or so, the pale blue lettering that spells out "Barclays Center" will be affixed to the weathered-steel facade of the arena that will be the first place the Nets can truly call home in their 45-year history. Inside, the scoreboard will be hoisted up at center court.
At the same time, Billy King and Bobby Marks will be filling out the roster of the team that will play the first game in Brooklyn, scouting the Summer League for low-cost gems, tweaking basketball operations and no doubt catching up on the latest episode of The Dwightmare. They and the business side will start thinking about where to site the franchise's next signature element, a new training facility.
But most of all, there will be time spent celebrating the Nets signing, re-signing or trading for real basketball talent to play at Barclays, practice at that facility. Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace have ten visits to the NBA All-Star Game between them. Brook Lopez has not yet been chosen for the classic but his point guard thinks he will soon. There may be complaints about size and shape of the Wallace and Johnson's contracts, but there shouldn't be about their play.
Bottom line, D-Will's signing is about getting noticed, showing off. The Nets arrival in Brooklyn --and return to New York-- is no longer a distant dream. What the team and building are saying is, "Now, it's our turn!"
- Call Billy the new King of Brooklyn - Ian O'Connor - ESPN New York
- Moves that echo across the river - Mike Vaccaro - New York Post
- Williams stays with Nets; signs 5-year, $100M deal - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Brooklyn Nets suddenly a hot ticket with Deron Williams back, Dwight Howard trade talks - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
Brooklyn Nets re-sign Deron Williams, but still need Dwight Howard to make run - Mitch Lawrence - New York Daily News
- Nets must pull out all the stops to land Howard and form Brooklyn Big 3 - Mike Lupica - New York Daily News
- GameTime: Future of Nets (Video) - Rick Kamla, Dennis Scott & Mike Fratello - NBA TV
- GameTime: Kenny Smith on Nets (Video) - Rick Kamla, Dennis Scott & Kenny Smith - NBA TV
- Opulence: Deron Williams has it - Scott Carefoot - The Basketball Jones
Against all odds - Kelly Dwyer - Ball Don't Lie
Williams, bold moves make Nets a fun team… for now - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Deron Williams agrees to re-sign with Brooklyn Nets: EOB Roundtable - CBS Sports
Free agent Deron Williams signs with Nets - Scott Gleeson & Jeff Zillgitt - USA Today
Deron Williams and the end of all that - Devin Kharpertian - Nets Are Scorching
- Do not bet on Dwight Howard in Brooklyn - John Hollinger - ESPN Insider