The Nets have reached an agreement with Mirza Teletovic, the 6'9" Bosnia stretch forward who was the Euroleague's leading scorer in regular season at 21.7 ppg. According to various reports, Teletovic will get the full MLE of $5 million or $15.675 million over three years. The agreement has long been rumored.
Howard Beck tweets, "Nets are using midlevel exception to sign Teletovic to 3-yr deal. Means: 1. they cannot go over $74 mil payroll. 2. Can't use MLE for Kidd." The Nets have long liked Teletovic's deep shooting, post moves and toughness. He has not distinguished himself as a rebounder, however. It didn't hurt that he's represented by a European partner of Jeff Schwartz, the agent who represents Deron Williams, Kidd and even Tyshawn Taylor.
Teletovic was so motivated to play for the Nets he agreed to a $2.5 million buyout of his Euroleague contract with Caja Laboral. The Nets will pay $550,000 of that amount. He is playing for the Bosnian National Team this summer.
Meanwhile, Mike Wells, the Pacer beat writer, tweets that Gerald Green will meet with the Indiana Pacers "in the next few days." The Nets don't have Green's Bird Rights an thus have very little financial advantage in talks. Green did tell Fred Kerber last season that he'd take a discount to play for the Nets out of loyalty for their confidence in him. Indiana already has a lot of cap space and may have more if they don't match Portland's offer sheet to Roy Hibbert.
- Sources: Nets, Mirza Teletovic agree - Chad Ford - ESPN
- Nets sign Teletovic with mid-level exception - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Mirza Teletovic, Bosnian Power Forward, Agrees to Deal With Nets - Howard Beck - New York Times
Nets sign Mirza Teletovic, power forward from Bosnia - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- Nets agree to deal with Mirza Teletovic, report says - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Brooklyn Nets land Bosnian forward Mirza Teletovic - Sporting News
- Next up for Brooklyn Nets: Mirza Teletovic, Bosnian forward, top Euroleague scorer … Dwight Howard blocker? - Dan Devine - Ball Don't Lie
Mirza Teletovic three years with the Nets (Google Translate) - M. Šljivak - Sport Sport Bosnia