FILE - JULY 12, 2012: According to reports July, 12, 2012, the Brooklyn Nets have signed center Brook Lopez. .. NEWARK, NJ - APRIL 03: Brook Lopez #11 of the New Jersey Nets reacts against the Miami Heat at the Prudential Center on April 3, 2011 in Newark, New Jersey.The Heat defeated the Nets 108-94.NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)
The off-season grades keep rolling in (even though the final exams have yet to be turned in) and the Nets remain at the head of the class. In the latest, The Sporting News and local reporters in Arizona and Michigan like what the Nets have done and CBS Sports credits the "Mad Russian" for making the summer interesting.
Summing it up, Sean Deveney of the Sporting News puts the Nets at the top of his winners list. "They didn’t get Dwight Howard, and they committed oodles of money to players other teams might not have touched, but considering this franchise entered the offseason without a firm commitment from free-agent point guard Deron Williams, the fact that Williams is still on board counts as a huge win."
Matt Moore of CBS Sports, looks in particular at Mikhail Prokhorov's spending. "The new CBA was supposed to force big-spending teams to reconsider their approach. It seems to have worked ... unless you're Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov."
- NBA free agency winners and losers: Nets, Heat have stellar summers; Knicks, Bulls take steps back - Sean Deveney - The Sporting News
- Lessons from the 2012 NBA Free Agency Madness - Matt Moore - CBS Sports
- 2012 NBA Free Agency: Winners and Losers - Ben Golliver - CBS Sports
- Heat, Lakers, Clippers, Nets the big offseason winners so far - Vincent Goodwill - Detroit News
- NBA facelifts leave some better off than others - Randy Hill - FOX Sports Arizona
Manhattan-Brooklyn Grudge Match! Who Has The Edge in 2012? - John Schmeelk - WFAN