I think you've got to call Billy King successful for 2 reasons:
- The team has improved each year he's been here (slowly...)
- The team has tons of flexibility this off-season for Billy to rebuild as he sees fit. This is really a make or break year for him.
There's so much flexibility this off-season that the team could look totally different: it's heaven for armchair GMs. Here are 3 things I think I think:
- We could get the most value out of dwill by signing and trading him
- We should replace Hump and Brook Lopez
- We need to get rid of Morrow and Petro
Details after the jump.
Signing and trading dwill
I don't know shit about how signing and trading works. All I know is:
- The nets can give dwill the most money (according to posters around here)
- Dwill has not played to his peak level as a net - his load is too high (usage up, shooting down)
- There's a ton of PG talent in FA, not much at SG and SF
Given that it seems like signing and trading is better for everyone: dwill gets his money and hopefully a better situation for him (less load). The nets have an opportunity to use him in a trade, ideally to get a top SG or SF. I think NY (Melo), Indy (Granger+?), Philly (Iggy+?), or Denver (Lawson+Gallo) make some sense. I think Gay is too big a contract. We would have to sign a PG in FA (Nash, Lin, Billups, Jameer, Dragic, or combo G Lou Williams) or get one in the trade.
Dumping Hump and Lopez
Hump and Lopez are 2 of the Nets' best players from their latest roster. I still think we dump them because:
- Hump and Lopez will (probably) be expensive, but they're not elite
- In FA there is better talent and cheaper talent
For PF I'm thinking KG, Ily, Novak, Bass, Carl Landry. For C I'm thinking KG (he plays both!), Stiemsma, Hawes, Turiaf, Mahinmi. All of those guys would be better, cheaper, or both.
I think this is a great year to rebuild our front court. My dream pairing, Ily+KG, would be one of the best in the NBA. But even if we can't get those guys, I still think there's talent out there. The talent pools aren't as good at 2 and 3 which is why I expect we'll try to re-sign Farmar (for combo guard, 2ish spot) and Wallace. That and King has said so RE: Wallace.
Morrow and Petro
This doesn't really need saying, but these guys hold our team back:
- Their talent suggests 2nd-3rd team
- They're being paid 1.5 team money
- They only have 1 year contracts now ($7.5M together)
If we want to make the most impact this season (sign the most FAs, get multiple stars), ideally we lose the 7.5M tied up in them. Because they only have 1 year contracts that could make them attractive in a trade. Worst case scenario we just live with them on the roster for another year.
To repeat the bottom line: we should sign and trade dwill, replace our front court, and hopefully dump Morrow and Petro.