Mar 19, 2012; Newark, NJ, USA; New Jersey Nets point guard Deron Williams (8) during the game against the Cleveland Cavaliers at the Prudential Center. Cleveland Cavaliers defeat the New Jersey Nets 105-100. Mandatory Credit: Jim O'Connor-US PRESSWIRE
Throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area, newspapers, websites, blogs, online chats, radio and TV are filled with stories about the Mavericks' pursuit of Deron Williams. There are profiles of him focused on his time growing up in Dallas, columns on why he should stay, chats denigrating the latest Nets rumors as speculation, etc.
The Mavs promise an all-out recruiting effort, but Mark Cuban won't be in the Hamptons Sunday morning. He'll be shooting an episode of his TV show, Shark Tank. (We don't know what Mikhail Prokhorov is planning). Recruiting apparently will be left up to Rick Carlisle and Donnie Nelson, the Mavs GM.
Expect the chatter in Big D to continue until Williams makes his decision, when it will turn to either an analysis (recriminations?) about Cuban's strategy of going all-in on Williams or a celebration of their city's lure.
Despite it all, the Nets continue to be confident that by July 11, they'll have Williams' signature on a Nets' contract. It's highly doubtful that agent Jeff Schwartz or Williams is encouraging Mark Cuban but the Mavs owner is known to covet Williams, even above Dwight Howard, and is likely to keep clearing cap space between now and then.
- The Deron Williams’ sweepstakes begin - Brad Townsend - Dallas Morning News
- Dear Deron, plenty of reasons to come back to Big D - Keith Sherrington - Dallas Morning News
- Mavs optimistic about chance of landing D-Will - Steve Hunt - FOX Sports Southwest
Scout.com: Odom's Carcass Is Out; Mavs Make Deron Room - Mike Fisher - Dallas Basketball
- Dirk: Time for D-Will to bring his talents to north Texas - Eddie Sefko - Dallas Morning News
- It’s time for a big pitch to Deron Williams - Eddie Sefko - Dallas Morning News
- Mavericks will be on the doorstep the minute free agency begins - Eddie Sefko - Dallas Morning News
- Nets 'partying with Deron' seems like a blatant breach of the rules - Eddie Sefko - Dallas Morning News
- My gut feeling on Mavs' chances of getting Deron Williams, keeping Jason Terry - Eddie Sefko - Dallas Morning News
- Speculation about Williams just 'hot air until D-Will sings' - Eddie Sefko - Dallas Morning News
- Why I still think Mavs are 'angling' for Dwight Howard next summer - Eddie Sefko - Dallas Morning News
Full-Court Press: A "tweetbomb'' to get D-Will set for 2 p.m. - Dwain Price - Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Mavs put all eggs in D-Will's basket - David Reed - KXII