The Nets will surrender their first round draft pick this June to the Portland Trail Blazers. They finished 6th in the Draft Lottery. As part of the Gerald Wallace trade at the deadline, the Nets agreed to deal their pick unless it was top three and Wednesday night, they lost.
Asked after the Lottery to respond to fan unhappiness with the results, Billy King said, "Have faith" and added in a SocialCam hit, "We’re going to re-sign Gerald Wallace, and we’re going to re-sign Deron Williams." The Nets GM said that he didn't think the Nets would win a top three pick and was prepared for it. He added the Nets are in talks with Wallace's agent. "We’ll negotiate and do a fair deal and get it done," King told reporters.
The Nets have two trade exceptions from the March 15 deal, a $3.0 million exception and a $1.34 million exception. The Nets also dumped Shawne Williams $3.15 million contract in the trade. With the lost pick, the Nets also gain $2.55 million in salary cap space that had been set aside for a player taken at #6.
The top pick went to the New Orleans Hornets, giving them the right to pick Anthony Davis in the June 28 draft. The Charlotte Bobcats will pick second and the Washington Wizards third. The Nets are left with the #57 pick in the second round, obtained in the Chris Quinn trade two years ago from the Heat.
- Message From GM Billy King #DraftLottery (Video) - SocialCam
- Hornets win draft lottery, will pick No. 1 in NBA - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Blazers get 2 first-round draft picks - Anne Petersen - AP
New Orleans Hornets win NBA Draft Lottery - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Brooklyn Nets lose draft pick in NBA Draft Lottery - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
Nets GM Billy King mum on chase for Dwight Howard, Deron Williams' future - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Nets get 6th pick, but come up empty-handed - Roderick Boone - New York Newsday
Nets not so lucky in draft lottery - Steve Popper - The Record
Billy King not broken up over Nets' misfortune - Alex Raskin - HoopsWorld
- NBA draft lottery -- Brooklyn Nets shut out - Kieran Darcy - ESPN New York
- Stern sees 'great rivalry' for Knicks, Nets - Kieran Dancy - ESPN New York
- Hornets Land Top Pick in N.B.A. Draft - Jake Appleman - New York Times
Nets stuck with 6th pick in NBA Draft - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Hornets win, Nets lose in NBA draft lottery - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
Hornets, Warriors Draft Lottery winners. Nets lose. Again.- Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Hornets strike it rich, plus more lottery observations - Sam Amick - Sports Illustrated
Rough Start To Beginning Of The Nets' Renaissance - Michael Scotto - RealGM
NETS: Probabilities Hold at Lottery, Pick to Portland - Ben Couch - Brooklyn Nets