The Lakers led by as many as 17 late in the second quarter and again midway through the third. The Nets came all the way back to tie the game at 86 with 1:29 left in the fourth. After Kobe Bryant hit a jumper to put the Lakers back up two, Gerald Wallace got fouled, but made just one of two at the line with 58 seconds left.
On the next possession, the Nets defended the Lakers well, but Pau Gasol rebounded the Lakers' initial miss. And after the ball grazed off of Deron Williams shorts and out of bounds with 2.3 seconds on the shot clock, Kobe Bryant hit a 28 footer that rattled around the rim and in to put the game out of reach with 6.8 seconds left.
The Nets shot just 40 percent and were outrebounded 50-38, but turned the ball over just six times. Williams led them with 20 points and six assists. Kris Humphries added 18 points and 15 rebounds and Wallace finished with 19 points and five assists. Bryant led L.A. with 24 points.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Nets vs. Lakers (Video) - NBA.com
- Lakers blow big lead, hold off Nets 91-87 - Greg Beacham - AP
- Post Game Plus (Video) - Nancy Newman - YES Network
- Avery Johnson Press Conference (Video) - YES Network
- Lakers hold on to defeat Nets, 91-87 - Ben Bolch - Los Angeles Times
- Five things to take from Lakers' 91-87 win over New Jersey Nets - Mark Medina - Los Angeles Times
Lakers get victory but not easily - Kevin Ding - Orange County Register
Nothing comes easy for Lakers - Elliot Teaford - Daily Breeze