There was talk of potential, promotion and promises, but mostly celebration outside Barclays Center Monday morning with the unveiling of the Nets logos and colors. The podium was filled with dignitaries of all sorts, but it was Brook Lopez, the senior Net in terms of service, who struck the clearest, most concise note of the morning.
"Hello Brooklyn!," he told the fans gathered at the event. "I've been waiting for a long time to say that!" Or Brett Yormark told the crowd, "The Brooklyn Nets are finally part of the conversation."
For the most part, team officials talked about the Nets long road to Brooklyn, but Billy King and Avery Johnson used their time on the podium to talk basketball at Barclays. They came close to promising playoff basketball at the Brooklyn arena in the Nets first year.
"We're not looking to build slowly," said King, "We will put a team on the court you will be proud of." King again said that the move to Brooklyn makes his job easier and that the plan is to be in the playoffs next year. Johnson told the media, that hopefully, "at his time next year you guys will be in my press conference for the 2013 Playoffs."
Yormark also revealed that while the circular logo will appear at center court at Barclays, the shield, which he described as "the shield of Brooklyn", would appear on the teams shorts. Fans will have to wait to see the rest of the uniform til the fall, Yormark said.
- Brooklyn Basketball Will Be Black and White - Ken Belson - New York Times
- Brooklyn Nets gear hits the shelves - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
Brooklyn Nets unveil new logo and black and white color scheme - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets' new logo unveiled at event in Brooklyn - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Nets Unveil Logos in Brooklyn (Video) - Star-Ledger
- Brooklyn Nets unveil new logo - Bobby Bonett - New York Newsday
- Brooklyn Nets unveil logos, colors for 2012-13 - Mike Mazzeo - New York Newsday
Nets reveal Brooklyn identity - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Nets unveil their new Brooklyn logos - Tom Weir - USA Today
- Jay-Z designed new Brooklyn Nets logo (the gear is for sale) - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
Jay-Z designed the Brooklyn Nets new logo - Royce Young - CBS Sports
- Here’s the Brooklyn Nets’ new logo, designed by Jay-Z - Dan Devine - Ball Don't Lie
- VIDEO: The New Brooklyn Nets Commercial Needs More Jay-Z - Adam Sharp - SB Nation
- POLL: Brooklyn Nets' Takeover - Tom Ziller - SB Nation
The Brooklyn Nets Now Have a Look - Seth Rosenthal - New York Magazine