TORONTO CAN - FEBRUARY 16: DeMar DeRozan #10 of the Toronto Raptors drives with the ball a game against the Miami Heat on February 16 2011 at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto Canada. The Heat defeated the Raptors 103-95. (Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)
This is it. Season's end. New Jersey's end (except that the Nets will continue to practice in the state). At shortly after 9 p.m., out of sight in another land, the New Jersey Nets will finally come to an end. After Monday's finale in Newark, this seems more like an afterthought. Truth be told, it is. Neither team is playing for anything other than pride or ping-pong balls. The Nets are badly banged up, with ten players likely to suit up.
Neither Deron Williams nor Shelden Williams is expected to don New Jersey's colors vs. the Raptors. Whether they count as season-ending injuries or not, their loss will bring the total number of lost games to 253, almost double last year's total of 129, in 16 fewer games. The Raptors, too, will be without their best player, Andrea Bargnani, who like Deron Williams is out with a calf injury. Otherwise, they're only missing Jerryd Bayless.
If the Nets win, they will likely finish with the sixth worst record. If they lose, and Cleveland, New Orleans and Sacramento win, they will be wind up in a four way tie for third, with a coin toss for the extra ping-pong balls Friday. Same holds true for Toronto. If they lose, they could fall into a tie for third under the right circumstances. It's more important for the Nets because if they don't get a top three pick in the lottery, they have to surrender it to the Trail Blazers. Speaking of surrender, with Gerald Wallace on the court, don't expect the Nets to do that. How's that for a final irony?
- New Jersey Nets Game Notes - New Jersey Nets
- Toronto Raptors Game Notes - Toronto Raptors
- Getting Inside - New Jersey Nets - Sports Xchange
- Getting Inside - Toronto Raptors - Sports Xchange
- Nets-Raptors Preview - Santosh - Venkataraman - Stats LLC
- Nets suit up for final bow - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Already out of New Jersey, Nets end their season out of sight - Colin Stephenson
- Playoff Races Going Down to Final Day of Season - AP
- Nets, N.J. on same page: Good riddance - Editorial - The Record
- Raptors report card: Andrea Bargnani, Jamaal Magloire get highest marks - Doug Smith - Toronto Star
- Raptors looking forward to next season - Robert MacLeod - Toronto Globe and Mail
Kidd wishes the Nets the best in Brooklyn - Dwain Price - Fort Worth Star-Telegram