What's left to say? Actually, a lot. There's the game and the halftime tribute. Not to mention a LOT of emotion. It's the last game in New Jersey for the Nets and the next -to-last game they'll play as the New Jersey Nets. It's the last step in a long process. The "NJ" was removed from their uniforms years ago, just like "New Jersey" was removed from their road uniforms and the stationery and the end lines on the court, etc.
Now, though, we've reached the end game, literally and finally. For the Nets, the tribute will be the highlight of the evening. There will ex-Nets, some with baggage, some without. There will be video, from and about Jason Kidd, maybe an appearance by Rod Thorn (he has reason to be there) and Gary Sussman will be reprising some of his great calls. But most of all, there will be the emotion.
The 76ers, the season is not over. They are a half-game behind the Knicks and facing a choice of playing the Bulls or Heat in the first round. Best wishes. Of course, they barely got this far following a late season collapse. Unlike the Nets, the Sixers haven't had a major injury. Speaking of injuries (do we ever stop?) no word yet on how many Nets will be available for the last dance in Newark. So, at the end of the day, all we can say is, Let's go Nets!
- New Jersey Nets Game Notes - New Jersey Nets
- Philadelphia 76ers Game Notes - Philadelphia 76ers
- Getting Inside - New Jersey Nets - Sports Xchange
- Getting Inside - Philadelphia 76ers - Sports Xchange
- 76ers-Nets Preview - Kate Hedlin - Stats LLC
- For 35 Years, an Often Sorry State of Affairs - Harvey Araton - New York Times
Mixed Emotions for Fans as Nets Prepare to Depart for Brooklyn - Liz Robbins
- Nets belt out NJ swan song - Fred Kerber - New York Post
New Jersey says good riddance to the Nets - Rich Calder - New York Post
Jayson Williams, just out of prison, not invited to final game in New Jersey - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- For Nets' fans, Brooklyn seems so near and yet so far away - Craig Wolff - Star-Ledger
- The labored birth of a franchise -- New Jersey's first pro basketball team almost wasn't - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- Rod Thorn's rosey days with Nets - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- No quit in Nets’ Gerald Wallace - Andy Vasquez - The Record
New Jersey Nets, 1976-2012 - John Brennan - Meadowlands Matters
Sixers focus on beating the Nets - John N. Mitchell - Philadephia Inquirer