Apr 16, 2012; Newark, NJ, USA; Miami Heat small forward LeBron James (6) drives to the basket against New Jersey Nets shooting guard Gerald Green (14) at the Prudential Center. Miami Heat defeat the New Jersey Nets 101-98. Mandatory Credit: Jim O'Connor-US PRESSWIRE
Playing without Deron Williams and Gerald Wallace (and Brook Lopez) on Monday, the Nets almost pulled off a shocking upset. But LeBron James came to the rescue, outscoring the Nets 17-9 in the final five minutes to lead the Heat to a 101-98 victory.
Heat fans filled the Nets arena, chanting "MVP" whenever James went to the line and rocking Prudential with chants of "Lets Go Heat," embarrassing fans and players alike.
The Nets started out hot, scored 34 points in the first quarter, and led by as many as seven early in the second. It was a three-point lead at the half, but a 16-5 run in the third put the Nets up 13. The Heat came back to tie the game with seven minutes left in the fourth, but Gerald Green and MarShon Brooks put the Nets back up seven.
It was a still a seven-point lead with three minutes left when James went on a personal 13-3 run to put the Heat up three. And after the Nets committed a 5-second violation on the inbound, James sealed the game at the free throw line.
The Nets shot 50 percent from the field, but were outscored 23-11 at the line. James finished with 37 points, six rebounds and seven assists. Kris Humphries led the Nets with 29 points and eight rebounds. Brooks added 24 points, seven boards and six assists, and Green finished with 15 points.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Game Highlights (Video) - NBA.com
- Furious flurry by James gives Heat win over Nets - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Rapid Reaction: Heat 101, Nets 98 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- James makes Prudential Center his house - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Avery: We need good on-court product - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
Here We Go - Devin Kharpertian - Nets Are Scorching
- James burns Nets as Heat win with fourth quarter comeback - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- LeBron torches Nets - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
LeBron enjoys cheers of N.J. fans - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- James dazzles at Prudential Center in Nets' 101-98 loss - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
DeShawn Stevenson talks future of himself and Deron Williams - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- Nets fall to Heat, 101-98, as LeBron takes over late - Andy Vasquez - The Record
Nets notes: Fresh start - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- LeBron scores final 17 for Heat in 101-98 win over Nets - Ira Winderman - South Florida Sun- Sentinel
- Wade, Williams rest injuries as precaution - Andre Fernandez - Miami Herald
- Nets seek home improvement with move to Brooklyn - Andre Fernandez - Miami Herald
- James scores final 17 points for short-handed Heat - Ethan J. Skolnick - Palm Beach Post
Could Miami catch Chicago for top spot in East? Maybe. But not likely - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports