Mar 9, 2012; Charlotte, NC, USA; New Jersey Nets point guard Deron Williams (8) sets up a play against the Charlotte Bobcats during the first half at Time Warner Cable Arena. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-US PRESSWIRE
For the second time in six days, the Nets are leaving Charlotte with both good and bad news. On Sunday, it was with Deron Williams' 57 points and Brook Lopez's ankle injury. And on Friday, it's with a gutty, 83-74 victory and an injury to Williams, who left the game late in the second quarter with a sore right calf. He won't play Saturday vs. Houston, the Nets announced.
An 18-2 run gave the Nets an 12-point lead midway through the first quarter. They led by 11 midway through the second, but scored just six points over the last 6:39 of the period, losing Williams along the way, and led by just four at the half. The Bobcats took the lead early in the third quarter, but a 13-0 Nets run spanning the third and fourth quarters put them back up nine, and they held on for their third win of the season over the NBA's worst team.
Combined with the Knicks loss, the Nets win put them only four and a half games behind New York for the eighth spot in the East.
The teams combined to shoot just 35 percent, but the Nets won the rebounding battle, 55-43. Kris Humphries led the way with 20 points and 15 boards. Anthony Morrow added 17 points (all in the fourth quarter), Jordan Farmar dished out seven assists, and Shelden Williams grabbed 13 rebounds.
Gerald Green, playing the first game of his second 10-day contract, finished with eight points, six rebounds and three blocks in 20 minutes and earned Avery Johnson's praise for his defense.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Nets vs. Bobcats (Video) - NBA.com
Humphries leads Nets to 83-74 win over Bobcats - Steve Reed - AP
- Williams leaves 83-74 win over Bobcats with injury - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Nets' Anthony Morrow turns it on late in front of hometown fans - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Deron exits Nets win with calf pain - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Sweet homecoming for Nets’ Morrow - - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Nets lose Williams in road win vs. Bobcats - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets top Bobcats despite losing Deron Williams (calf) - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets notes: Mehmet Okur out indefinitely - - Andy Vasquez - The Record
They’re going streaking! - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Post Game Plus (Video) - Gordon Damer - YES Network
- Avery Johnson Press Conference (Video) - YES Network
- DeShawn Stevenson Interview (Video) - Jessica Taff - YES Network
- Anthony Morrow Interview (Video) - Jessica Taff - YES Network
- Bobcats lose to Nets 83-74 - Rick Bonnell - Charlotte Observer
- Bobcats' Silas hands off family business - Rick Bonnell - Charlotte Observer