Mar, 04, 2012; Charlotte, NC, USA; New Jersey Nets guard Deron Williams (8) looks towards his bench in first half action against the Charlotte Bobcats at the Time Warner Cable Arena. Mandatory Credit: Bruce Chapman-US PRESSWIRE
Deron Williams scored 57 points on Sunday in Charlotte, setting a career-high, the Nets' all-time NBA record for a single game, and the most points scored by any NBA player this season. And the Nets needed all 57, as they lost Brook Lopez to an ankle injury in the third quarter and held on for a 104-101 win over the Bobcats.
Allowing the Bobcats to score 53 points in the first half, the Nets trailed by as many 16 in the second quarter. But they cut it down to eight by halftime and took the lead as Williams scored 22 points in the third. They led by seven with 20 seconds in the game, but a wild comeback by the Bobcats gave them a chance to tie with a three with 1.7 seconds left. D.J. Augustin's desperation three was off the mark though.
Williams shot 16-for-29 from the field, 4-for-11 from three-point range and a perfect 21-for-21 from the line. He added six rebounds and seven assists. Kris Humphries had 11 points and 13 rebounds, and Shelden Williams was the only other Net in double figures, finishing with 10 points.
It was the second time this season Williams scored 50 points in a game. He scored 50 while playing for Besiktas in a EuroChallenge game in Germany last November 22.
Lopez rolled his right ankle -- the same foot he broke in December -- early in the third quarter. It didn't look serious at first, but he never returned from the locker room and left the arena on crutches. X-rays were taken and Avery Johnson said that the team would have an update on Monday.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Williams scores 57 as Nets dump Bobcats 104-101 - Steve Reed - AP
Game Highlights (Video) - NBA.com
- Post Game Deron Williams (Video) - Jessica Taff - NBA.com
- Deron Williams' Career Game (Video) - Rick Kamla & Brent Barry - NBA.com
- Deron Williams' Night (Video) - NBA.com
Nothing But Nets: Deron Williams Hits 57 (Video) - Kevin Conners & Jalen Rose - ESPN
- Williams scores team-record 57 points to lead Nets - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- After injuring right ankle, Nets' Brook Lopez will travel with team while awaiting evaluation - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
Williams scores 57 as Nets dump Bobcats 104-101 - Fred Kerber - New York Post Nets Blog
- Deron pours in club-record 57 - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Nets’ Lopez hurt again - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Deron Williams scores record 57 points - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
Deron Williams scores frachise-best 57 as Nets beat Bobcats - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Deron Williams goes off for 57 as Nets beat Bobcats - Andy Vasquez - NJ Nets Nation
- Deron Williams’ historic night by the numbers - Andy Vasquez - NJ Nets Nation
D-Will scores franchise-record 57 points - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Post Game Plus (Video) - Nancy Newman - YES Network
- Avery Johnson Press Conference (Video) - YES Network
- Anthony Morrow Interview (Video) - YES Network
USA - D-Will does it again - FIBA.com
Deron Williams drops 57 points on the Bobcats (Video) - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- NETS Game Center (Game 38) - - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets
Charlotte missed out on Deron Williams - Rick Bonnell - Charlotte Observer