Mar 21, 2012; Newark, NJ, USA; Washington Wizards point guard John Wall (2) shoots as New Jersey Nets point guard Deron Williams (8) defends at the Prudential Center. Mandatory Credit: Jim O'Connor-US PRESSWIRE
The Nets may have reached a new low on Wednesday, losing to the Wizards 108-89 at the Prudential Center. Frustrations boiled over in the third quarter, when both Deron Williams and Avery Johnson were ejected for arguing with referee Josh Tiven.
The Nets took a brief lead midway through the second quarter, but trailed by three at the half. Midway through the third, after the Wizards went up by eight, Williams picked up two consecutive technical fouls and was ejected during a timeout. And before the ball could be inbounded, Johnson picked up two T's himself, following Williams to the locker room. The Nets were back within eight midway through the fourth, but an 11-0 Washington run then put the game away.
The Nets shot just 37 percent, while the Wizards shot 48 percent. Despite the ejection, Williams led the Nets with 17 points and four assists. Kris Humphries, Anthony Morrow and Gerald Wallace had 13 points apiece, with Humphries adding 16 rebounds.
The loss was the Nets' fourth straight and dropped them to 5-18 at home.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Wizards vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Nene has strong debut, leading Wizards over Nets - Tom Canavan - AP
- Williams ejected as Nets fall to Wizards - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Deron, Avery tossed in Nets loss - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Nets' Johnson: Punishment for Saints coach too harsh - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Nets are bedeviled by the Wizards, 108-89 - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Where there a D-Will, there's a way for Nets - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Net notes: Avery Johnson on Sean Payton - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Williams and Johnson tossed in ugly loss to Wizards - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Rapid Reaction: Wizards 108, Nets 89 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Williams, Johnson ejected Wednesday night - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets stink up the joint again - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Post Game Plus (Video) - Jessica Taff - YES Network
- From the Booth (Video) - Ian Eagle & Mike Fratello - YES Network
- Avery Johnson Press Conference (Video) - YES Network
- MarShon Brooks Interview (Video) - YES Network
Nets lose temper, game to lowly Wizards (Postgame Video Inside) - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Wizards vs. Nets: Nene leads Washington to win in his debut with the team - Michael Lee - Washington Post
Nene has big night in Wizards debut - Michael Lee - Washington Post