The Nets grabbed the lead early, but didn't have much breathing room until they went on a 12-2 run late in the third quarter. The led by 12 at the end of the period, but the Hornets came all the way back and tied the game with 3:49 to go in the fourth.
The Hornets took a one-point lead on a Jarrett Jack three with 1:28 left, and after Deron Williams missed two shots to get the lead back, Chris Kaman hit a long two at the shot clock buzzer. Williams missed on another drive and Marco Belinelli then hit a dagger three, again at the end of the shot clock, with 16.8 seconds left.
A pair of Jack free throws concluded a 12-0 run to end the game for New Orleans.
The Hornets shot 51 percent from the field, while the Nets shot just 42 percent. Williams finished with 20 points and 12 assists, but made just nine of his 24 shots. Anthony Morrow had 20 as well, and Gerald Green added 16. Wallace had 11 points, three rebounds, three assists and three blocks in 37 minutes. Netither DeShawn Stevenson, who's started 26 games for the Nets, nor Sundiata Gaines, who started Friday vs. Orlando, played a minute vs. New Orleans.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Hornets vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Hornets earn 102-94 win over Nets - AP
- Nets fall to Hornets as Wallace can't halt collapse in debut - Jorge Castillo - Star-Ledger
- Nets fall to woeful Hornets, 102-94, in Gerald Wallace’s debut - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Green staying in N.J. - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Williams returns in Nets loss to Hornets - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets scrape bottom of barrel, fall to Hornets, 102-94 - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets notes:Gerald Green to stay? - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Rapid Reaction: Hornets 102, Nets 94 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Wallace plays well in Nets' debut - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets' season on life support - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Post Game Plus (Video) - Nancy Newman - YES Network
- Avery Johnson Press Conference (Video) - YES Network
- MarShon Brooks Interview (Video) - YES Network
- Gerald Green Interview (Video) - YES Network
Nets fall apart in fourth, lose to Hornets (Postgame Video Inside) - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Hornets charge back late to defeat New Jersey on the road - John Reid - New Orleans Times Picayune