February 24, 2012; Orlando FL, USA; Eastern Conference guard Deron Williams of the New Jersey Nets during the East all-stars press conference at the Hilton Orlando. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE
"It's not monkey-see, monkey-do," Deron Williams told Stefan Bondy at shootaround in Orlando on Friday, clarifying that Dwight Howard's decision to stay with the Magic one more year won't affect Williams' choice to become a free agent this summer. He told Bondy and Fred Kerber that the team he chooses will be the one he wants to retire with.
Meanwhile, on WFAN, Billy King said that he has no intention of asking Williams to op-in for next season. "Why would I ask him to take a one-year deal," King said, "when he can get a five-year deal and get security for his family." In other news, King said the Nets are discussing extending Gerald Green for the rest of this season and possibly next. Green's second 10-day contract runs out over the weekend.
King added that his confidence that Williams will re-sign with the Nets is "very high." Williams is questionable to play Friday in Orlando, so Sundiata Gaines may start at point guard, because Jordan Farmar is out with a sore groin.
- Deron Williams will not exercise one-year contract option - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
Williams 'not opting in' for just one year with Nets - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Nets pick up pieces left behind by Dwight - Shaun Powell - NBA.com
- Billy King Interview (Audio) - Joe Benigno & Evan Roberts - WFAN
- Deron Williams makes it clear he will become free agent - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
Nets looking at short term, not building a solid foundation - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
King Confident D-Will Returns to Nets - Alex Raskin - HoopsWorld
Nets gambling on the short term with Wallace - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Good news for Mavericks: Deron Williams says he'll explore free agency - Jon Machota - Dallas Morning News
Will Williams end up with the Mavericks? - Mike Fisher - FOX Sports