With Dwight out of the picture (at least for now), we all know and understand the position the franchise is in. Will Deron leave? Will Deron stay? There's a lot of factors well outside of our control such as the Nets success in the next month and a half, the Mavericks success in the next month and a half (and perhaps further), perhaps the Magic success in the upcoming months, and anything else Billy King can come up with in the off-season. With that being said, what can we, as fans do to influence Deron's decision? I put together a list of what I believe we can do to help this franchise. Feel free to criticize me or my ideas, feel free to add any of your own, please don't turn this into a debate over anyone's job status or anything in that fashion. All of my ideas revolve around stuff to do at the game specifically, but if you have any ideas that expand out further than that, please share.
- As a general rule, no matter how bad things get, do not boo. Booing is counter-productive. Always. Booing will only push him further out the door and discourage the players as a whole.
- No "We Want Dwight" chants or anything along those lines. Again, it makes the rest of the team feel unwanted. Maybe not Deron specifically, but I do believe there is a trickle down effect.
- Conversely, we don't need any anti-Dwight chants or signs or anything along those lines either. Just move on and remember, it's still not entirely out of the question. If they lose in the first round, and they certainly could, this all starts up again.
- Be loud, show enthusiasm. I haven't been able to make it out to the Prudential Center yet, although I will be heading out tomorrow. You can tell just watching on TV that the energy in the arena has been a lot better lately, and don't think the team hasn't noticed. Don't stop now just because of this setback. Whenever a crowd gets silent, if even one person gets loud and starts chanting "defense!", others will be more likely to join in. I've seen individual people spark an entire section, and that section spark the rest of the arena. Just because things are starting to look bad, don't let the energy die out. A strong crowd can rally a team.
- On a more specific note, continue with the signs and giant Deron heads if possible. This isn't really my specialty given how I'm not able to make the trip out to Newark consistently, but maybe eLone or someone else could organize something similar to Dwight night specifically for Deron. Make sure he knows he's appreciated one way or another.
I wish I had more to say than that, that's all fairly basic and for the most part not overly specific, but every little thing counts. I mainly put this up here for the sake of generating discussion, so please, if you have any other ideas or suggestions, let's hear them.