The Grizzlies, of course, were the surprise team of the NBA playoffs last year, getting to the Western Conference Finals. This year,. they've been hit by injuries and are fighting for a playoff spot at 15-14, just outside the eighth spot. Darrell Arthur and Zach Randolph have been missed and still will be vs. the Nets. Randolph has only just started practicing. Of course, they have Marc Gasol.
Moreover, Memphis' young backcourt and swingmen have stepped up. Mike Conley had 21 points and four assists Tuesday vs. the Rockets, leading the Grizzlies in assists for the 25th straight game, the longest such streak in the NBA this year. Rudy Gay, always capable of hot shooting, hit 5-of-8 field goals in the second quarter, finished with 20 points. The Grizzlies are 11-4 when Gay scores at least 20. Tony Allen remains the defensive stalwart. He held Houston’s Kevin Martin scoreless for the first time in six years. O.J. Mayo, rumored to be a Nets trade target, had 10 off the bench.
For the Nets, Avery Johnson will have the luxury of 11 players on the court. DeShawn Stevenson returns (and with his re-spun knees) and Andre Emmett, who will wear No. 14, joins the team from the D-League. It's the first time since January 25 that the Nets have had more than 10 players active and available.
- New Jersey Nets Game Notes - New Jersey Nets
- Memphis Grizzlies Game Notes - Memphis Grizzlies
- Getting Inside - New Jersey Nets - Sports Xchange
- Getting Inside - Memphis Grizzlies - Sports Xchange
- Grizzlies-Nets Preview - Andy Ferguson - Stats LLC
- Good news for Nets: Brook Lopez is getting back in the flow after broken foot - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets encouraged after Brook Lopez practices for first time in two months - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Brook Lopez returns to practice for New Jersey Nets - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Nets sign Emmett to help replace Bogans - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Game 30: Grizzlies at Nets - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets' hopes brighten with Brook Lopez at practice - Pete Caldera - The Record
- Nets’ Brook Lopez returning soon? - Mark J. Miller - Yahoo! Sports
Q and A: Grizzlies' Rudy Gay discusses the rehab, future, fallout from his season-ending injury last year - Ron Tillery - Memphis Commercial Appeal