I see the urge to say "wait till July." you get to sign him and lose nothing, and look how knicks mortgaged a ton. however, i think we cannot wait for a couple reasons:
1: we're not last year's knicks. they HAD a good thing going with a +.500 record. there's nothing here.
2: we're more desperate than the knicks, because they had amare locked into a deal, whereas deron is a free agent in 4.5 months.
3: if we fail, we lose everything and become a team building from the ground again.
4: the precedent changed with the cp3 deal. it used to be that guys demand the locale, and get it. lebron, bosh, amare, melo all went exactly where they wanted to go. However, cp3 wanted the knicks, but despite that, the hornets said "let's not just send him exactly where he wants, let's wait it out, develop a larger group of teams that have assets to get him that paul would sign with, and pick from paul's options PLURAL. so, even if dwight wants brooklyn, we cannot allow that to happen.
5: even if we deal pieces for him, we'll have cap flexibility to round out the roster around our 2 studs, and can start replacing them. it's not like ny where they can't reacquire what they sold off.***it's more like LAC: they gave "a lot up," but are still awesome...because there was nothing there last year.
***overall conclusion: whether it's feb 27 or march 1, the goal must be "secure the player." don't wait it out or get cute: just secure the player.