For about 2 1/2 quarters in Miami on Saturday, the Nets looked better than ever. But things fell apart after that as the Heat turned up the defensive pressure and rolled to a 102-89 victory. The victory extended Miami's winning streak to six games and ended Brooklyn's at five.
The Nets started out hot and led by as many as 14 points early in the second quarter. They led by nine at the half, but six turnovers in the third quarter helped the Heat to come back and take a four-point lead into the final quarter. Miami gave the Nets opportunities to make it interesting in the fourth, but the Nets made just one of their first 11 shots in the period and committed six more turnovers before the Heat pulled away.
Brooklyn finished with 19 turnovers and shot just 6-for-28 from three and 17-for-27 from the line. Six Nets scored in double-figures, led by Andray Blatche with 20 points. Deron Williams added 12 assists to his 10 points, but shot just 3-for-11.
In post game comments, players on both teams made it clear they believed the two are not so different.
Said Wade: "We’re supposed to win at home. It’s gonna be a tough game in Brooklyn, and we’ll really see (how good they are)."
"It’s early in the season. It’s only December," added James. "They’re going to continue to get better, but they have a good team and they were missing a big piece tonight. They’re really good.”,"
"What gap? We think we're just as good as them," said Gerald Wallace. "We controlled this game. We had an opportunity to win and we should have won."
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Nets vs. Heat: Game Highlights (Video) - NBA.com
- Nets vs. Heat - Postgame Interviews (Video) - Ben Couch - Brooklyn Nets
- Arena Link: Chris Bosh (Video) - NBA.com
- Wade's 34 lifts Heat past Nets, 102-89 - Tim Reynolds - AP
- Johnson discusses coming up short in second half (Video) - YES Network
- Andray Blatche discusses problems with turnovers (Video) - YES Network
- Deron Williams discusses the Nets coming out flat (Video) - YES Network
- Nets let first-half lead slip away against Heat - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- Nets Fall to Heat After Second Half of Missed Shots and Turnovers - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Nets closer, but can't match Heat - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Air Stack continues to take off - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets start strong but fade in 102-89 loss to Heat - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets taking it slow with Brook Lopez as he recovers from injury - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Rapid Reaction: Heat 102, Nets 89 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Recharged Dwyane Wade carries Miami Heat past Brooklyn Nets - Joseph Goodman - Miami Herald
- Brooklyn Nets become latest Miami Heat challenger to fall - Brian Windhorst - ESPN Miami
- Heat Reaction: Brooklyn Nets at Miami Heat - Tom Haberstroh - ESPN Miami
- Winderman's view: Heat 102, Nets 89 - Ira Winderman - South Florida Sun-Sentinel
- Brooklyn Nets Tickets - TiqIQ