Professional sports are back in Brooklyn, and the Nets' season is off to a solid start, though the status of Gerald Wallace is a concern.
The Raptors scored 35 points in the first quarter, but the Nets outscored them 33-17 in the second to take an eight-point lead into the half. They led by as many 14 in the third quarter, but the Raptors came back to close within one early in the fourth.
The Nets' lead was two with a minute left when Gerald Wallace drove and found Brook Lopez for a three-point play. The Raptors came up empty on their next two possessions and the Nets held on for a seven-point win.
The Nets shot 46 percent from the field and 27-for-37 from the free throw line. Lopez had 15 of those attempts and led the Brooklyn with 27 points. Deron Williams scored the first points in Brooklyn Nets history and finished with 19 points and nine assists. Joe Johnson, Wallace and C.J. Watson also scored in double figures, while Reggie Evans grabbed 13 rebounds in 15 minutes.
Williams was given the game ball. Avery Johnson explained...
"Deron came on strong. Usually we give out something every game to what we consider the most valuable player and it doesn’t always have to do with points or rebounds. Tonight, I don’t care if Deron didn’t score, he was gonna get the game ball because a lot of what’s happening with this team is because he decided to re-sign."
But Wallace sprained his left ankle in the final minute. The Nets say x-rays were negative and his status is day-to-day.
The game was a sellout despite the mass transit issues and the crowd was into the game from the opening tip. At the end of the game, as the Nets held onto their lead, the crowd began chanting "Brook-lyn, Brook-lyn," what is becoming its signature cheer.
"That gave me jitters, man. Chills," oe Johnson said. "I know that these fans want the best for this team. All they want from us is to work hard and give them a show."
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Raptors vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Raptors vs. Nets: First half (Video) - NBA.com
- Nets vs. Raptors - Postgame Interviews (Video) - Brooklyn Nets
- Notebook: Nets 107, Raptors 100 - Jake Appleman - NBA.com
- Nets beat Raptors 107-100 in Brooklyn debut - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Hurricane Sandy aftermath: Brooklyn Nets fans make way to opener - AP
- Avery Johnson Pre-Game Interview (Video) - YES Network
- Avery Johnson Interview (Video) - YES Network
- Brook Lopez Interview (Video) - Sarah Kustok - YES Network
- Joe Johnson Interview (Video) - YES Network
- Mikhail Prokhorov (Video) - Sarah Kustok - YES Network
- Brook Lopez scores 27 points as Nets capture Brooklyn debut - Rod Boone - Newsday
- X-rays of Gerald Wallace's ankle are negative - Rod Boone - Newsday
- All Nets Three-Pointers (Game 1) - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Brooklyn Nets Beat Raptors in Season Opener - Benjamin Hoffman - New York Times
- Nets’ Opening Day Arrives, but Few Feel Like Celebrating - Matt Flegenheimer - New York Times
- Nets top Raptors in Barclays opener - Kristie Ackert - NY Daily News
- Brooklyn Nets forward Gerald Wallace leaves game with 27.7 seconds - Kristie Ackert & Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- Hurricane Sandy wipes out Brooklyn Nets' special opening night plans - Kristie Ackert - NY Daily News
- Nets win as Brooklyn returns to the majors - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Bogans back on bench after serious injury - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Win a ‘wait’ off Lopez’s shoulders - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Watson and Evans supply backup power - Brett Cyrgalis - New York Post
- Nets win their Hurricane Sandy-delayed debut in Brooklyn - Michael J. Fensom - Star-Ledger
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 107, Raptors 100 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets' first game ball goes to D-Will - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN
- Beyoncé and Jay-Z cuddle up as they cheer from best seats in the house - Jennifer Pearson - Daily Mail
- Brooklyn Nets give suffering borough something to cheer about - Lisa Olson - Sporting News
- Brooklyn Nets Tickets - TiqIQ