The Nets have won four straight and are now 4-0 against the Atlantic Division.
They took control with an 11-0 run spanning the first and second quarters and opened up a 21-point lead with 3 1/2 minutes to go in the half. They were up 16 with 39 seconds left in the half when a Kris Humphries foul on Kevin Garnett prompted Rajon Rondo to shove Humphries. After the altercation got ugly, Rondo, Humphries and Gerald Wallace were all ejected. Avery Johnson said he expects the league to rule on possible suspensions as early as Thursday.
After the game, Humphries tweeted a picture of the damage and asked, "Anyone know where I can quick get a Tetnis shot in Boston?"
Despite the loss of two starters, the Nets kept the game under control in the third quarter. The Celtics got to within nine a couple of times in the fourth, but repeated big baskets from Joe Johnson and Andray Blatche kept them at bay. Here's one of those Joe Johnson baskets.
The Nets shot just 40 percent from the field, but grabbed 17 offensive rebounds and outscored the Celtics 30-3 from three-point range. Johnson (18), Blatche (17) and Jerry Stackhouse (17) were the high scorers. Stackhouse is 9-for-11 from downtown in the last two games.
Blatche (13), Brook Lopez (10) and Reggie Evans (10) each had double-digit rebounds, and Deron Williams added seven assists. Evans, the NBA leader in rebounds per 48 minutes, now has four straight games with more than 10 rebounds.
After the game, Avery Johnson, Williams and Blatche all remarked about the team's chemistry and their mental and physical toughness, two things that have been in short supply the last five years.
Other than Evans ("It's like a mosquito in your face. You're eventually going to swat at the mosquito, right?") the Nets didn't talk much about the brawl or only in general teams, On the other hand, Garnett and Jason Terry (of the losing team) decided to comment more fulsomely.
"Some guys are tough. Some guys pretend to be," said Terry of Humphries. "He's one of those that pretends to be. I know. I played with the guy." Garnett who was outplayed by Blatche noted, "This ain't the Girl Scouts. This ain't the Boy Scouts. This is the NBA."
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Nets vs. Celtics: First half (Video) - NBA.com
- Nets and Celtics Altercation (Video) - NBA.com
- Huge Swat (Video) - NBA.com
- After Rondo ejected, Nets beat Celtics 95-83 - Jimmy Golen - AP
- Avery Johnson on the Nets' mental toughness (Video) - YES Network
- Williams on Brooklyn's chemistry, composure (Video) - YES Network
- Joe Johnson on victory over Celtics (Video) - Sarah Kostuk - YES Network
- Avery Johnson talks about momentum (Video) - Sarah Kostuk - YES Network
- After a Melee Breaks Out, the Nets Fend Off the Celtics - Peter May - New York Times
- Nets Don't Back Down in Boston - Scott Cacciola - Wall Street Journal
- Nets win the Battle of Boston - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets survive fight night in Boston, beat Celtics - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- Fighting words: Jason Terry calls Humphries "soft;" Reggie Evans likens Rondo to an annoying bug - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- Fight overshadows game as Nets put a beatdown on Boston - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Ref explains Humphries, Rondo ejections - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Looking back at Nets-Celtics - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Avery’s crew possesses plenty of fight thanks to some Brooklyn attitude - Kevin Kernan - New York Post
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 95, Celtics 83 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Brawl gives the word 'battled' meaning Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Possible suspensions don't worry Avery Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Crew chief discusses ejections Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Rajon Rondo ejected in Celtics’ loss to the Nets - Gary Washburn - Boston Globe
- Nets players defend their actions in fight with Celtics - Gary Dzen - Boston Globe
- Celtics play the waiting game regarding possible Rajon Rondo suspension - Gary Washburn - Boston Globe
- Rondo ejected as Celtics fall to Nets, 95-83 - A. Sherrod Blakely - Comcast Sports Net
- Rondo's assist streak ends after ejection Jessica Camerato - Comcast Sports Net
- Marshall: Rondo's shove 'not what being a Celtic is about' - Donny Marshall - Comcast Sports Net
- Rondo's streak ends in wild fashion - Bill Doyle - Worcester Telegram
- Doc Rivers finding Jason Terry's talents - Bill Doyle - Worcester Telegram
- Doc Rivers labels Celtics "soft'' - Jim Fenton - Brockton Enterprise
- Ejection puts end to Rondo's streak - Jim Fenton - Brockton Enterprise
- Three at the Buzzer: Celtics Fall to Nets 95-83 After Rondo, Humphries Brawl - CLNS - Celtics Blog
- Mean Streak: How much of a problem is Rondo's temper? - Jeff Clark - Celtics Blog
- Rondo assist streak ends with brawl as Nets top Celtics - Agence France Presse
- NBA Brawl Alert! Kris Humphries Ejected From Nets Celtics Game For Fighting - E! Online