Superstorm Sandy forced them wait 25 extra days, and after battling it out on the Barclays herringbone they had to wait five extra minutes, but finally there was a victor in the inaugural Battle of New York - and it was the Nets.
Carmelo Anthony led the Knicks with 35 points, but his last second shot in regulation scraped off the front rim. Deron Williams (16 points, 14 assists) was then able to launch a bomb from just inside the mid-court line, but it bounced away to force overtime.
In the OT session, the Nets seemed energized by the home crowd.
"It was a lot of fun, man. You hear the crowd.", said Williams "They were amazing tonight. We just had a lot of energy for this game. We were ready for this game, and we gave the fans a show."
"Every time some sort of Knick contingent started to cheer, our fans got louder," added Avery Johnson. "This is what we've been dreaming about since I've been here. Its a nice feeling. I'm glad we rewarded our fans with a victory. They deserve it."
The teams traded baskets to start, with Tyson Chandler (a career-high 28 points, 12-13 shooting) capping a fantastic game with a dunk and Brook Lopez (22 points, 11 rebounds, 5 blocks) connecting on a driving layup, but a Raymond Felton miss (3-19 shooting) seemed to take the air out of the Knicks.
The teams are now tied at 9-4 and lead the Atlantic Division. They are also second in the Eastern Conference, a game behind the Miami Heat, and have the NBA's fifth best record.
- The Knicks shot 38% despite Chandler's heroics. With his 12-13 removed they shot a dismal 21-72 (29%).
- The teams combined for 25 offensive rebounds. Lopez and Chandler had 7 apiece, Anthony had 6 and Reggie Evans collected five of his own.
- Speaking of Evans, there was a sequence in the second quarter where he showed the blue-collar ethic that makes him stand out to fans and teammates. With the game tied at 31, he pulled down two offensive boards, finally assisting on a C.J. Watson basket. In the next defensive possession, he did it again - grabbing one off the glass and knocking another out of bounds off of Chandler. Joe Johnson scored and the Nets had a four point lead. Evans had 14 rebounds in 17 minutes.
- Jerry Stackhouse continues to take us on a tour of 2001 - except with better shooting! He was 4 of 5 from three point land and he hit them at crucial times, including another late dagger in OT.
- The Knicks were streaky. They had a 10 point run straddling halftime, but they missed 13 consecutive shots spanning the third and fourth quarters.
- In the third quarter, Deron Williams either scored or assisted on 8 of the Nets' 12 baskets. Carmelo Anthony scored 11 points on 5-6 shooting.
- Got this one from NBA-TV. Jerry Stackhouse outscored the Knicks bench 14-13.
Find more at Posting and Toasting.
- Box Score - NBA.com
- Williams Makes Kidd-like Impact - John Schuhmann - NBA.com
- Spike Lee on Knicks vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Knicks in Transition (Video) - NBA.com
- Wallace's Big Block (Video) - NBA.com
- Chandler Puts it Back (Video) - NBA.com
- Anthony Gets by Wallace (Video) - NBA.com
- Smith's Pretty Move (Video) - NBA.com
- Camby to Anthony (Video) - NBA.com
- Anthony Uses all of the Basket (Video) - NBA.com
- Knicks vs. Nets: First half (Video) - NBA.com
- Williams to Humphries (Video) - NBA.com
- Chandler Throws Down (Video) - NBA.com
- Defense to Offense (Video) - NBA.com
- Nets vs. Knicks - Postgame Interviews - Brooklyn Nets
- Clash of the Boroughs Resounds in Brooklyn - Brooklyn Nets
- Notebook: Nets 96, Knicks 89 - Jake Appleman - NBA.com
- Nets vs Knicks 2012: Brooklyn Wins First City Showdown with New York, (Video) - Ben Golliver - SB Nation
- Mike's On: Nets set to take over New York (Video) - Mike Francesa - YES Network
- Nets take 1st Brooklyn matchup with Knicks in OT - Brian Mahoney - Associated Press
- Nets Hold Off Knicks in Overtime in First Meeting as Intracity Rivals - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Rivalry Comes to Life as Carmelo Anthony Returns to Brooklyn - Nate Taylor - New York Times
- Jason Kidd Shows Injuries Can Bring More Problems For Knicks - Jake Appleman - New York Times
- A Nascent Rivalry for Nets and Knicks Fans - Alan Feuer - New York Times
- Nets Win Borough Battle - Scott Cacciola - Wall Street Journal
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 96, Knicks 89 (OT) - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Deron Williams of Brooklyn Nets says he's playing through sprained wrist - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Rapid Reaction - Ian Begley - ESPN New York
- Melo has up-and-down night in Brooklyn - Ian Begley - ESPN New York
- Jason Kidd misses game against Brooklyn Nets due to back injury - Ian Begley - ESPN New York
- Notebook: Nets wanted it 'a little bit more' - Jared Zwerling & Ian Begley - ESPN New York
- Nets prevail in OT thriller in 1st city showdown - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Deron Williams, C.J. Watson struggling as guard pairing for Brooklyn Nets - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Wallace awakens with lock-down D on Melo - George Willis - New York Post
- Lopez comes up big vs. Chandler - Howie Kussoy - New York Post
- Veteran Kidd misses historic game with back spasms - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Knicks' Felton 'upset' with himself after awful performance vs. Nets - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- In the end, Knicks' Melo runs out of gas - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Rivalry a 'positive thing' for Knicks, Nets: marketing expert - Marc Berman - New York Post
- War waged, feuds fought long before Knicks-Nets took the court in Brooklyn - Mike Vaccaro - New York Post
- Hoop and holler: B’klyn Beep Spikes ball in Knicks-Nets rivalry - Rich Calder - New York Post
- Nets top Knicks in overtime in first meeting in Brooklyn - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Avery Johnson keeps Knicks-Nets in perspective - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Carmelo Anthony misses chance to win it as Knicks fall to Nets - Al Iannazzone - Newsday
- Nets run this town for now, beat Knicks in overtime - Frank Isola - New York Daily News
- Twitter - @FisolaNYDN - Frank Isola
- Deron Williams thrives on big stage, hit with MVP chant during victory - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Ain't no love for Knicks from Jay-Z on Twitter - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Brooklyn Nets aim to bridge gap in New York City basketball rivalry - Filip Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets top Knicks in first battle of New York, 96-89 in OT - Steve Popper - The Record
- Nets feeling right at home for a change in rivalry game against Knicks - Mike Kerwick - The Record
- Nets enjoy homecourt advantage in 96-89 overtime victory over Knicks - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- Nets top Knicks in thrilling overtime battle for New York - Jeff Zillgitt - USA Today
- Knicks missed guard's calming presence in overtime loss - Sean Deveney - Sporting News
- Knicks show their flaws, Nets get big win for franchise - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Nightly Grades: Nets take the 'Battle of the Boroughs' - Matt Moore - CBS Sports
- Nets take Brooklyn matchup with Knicks - Lou DiPietro - YES Network
- Nets find credibility and a home in Brooklyn with victory over Knicks - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- Melo, D-Will, and the career crossroads that swapped their fates - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
- Deron Williams Downplays Brooklyn Nets’ Win Over New York Knicks - Marcel Mutoni - SLAM
- Brooklyn Nets Tickets - TiqIQ