Here are some conclusions on how the Nets intend to play this season, based on the beats' tweets at the end of Wednesday morning's practice: They're going to run, they're going to run, they're going to run.
First, Avery Johnson had the team running -- a non-stop full-court scrimmage with a 12-second shot clock. Then, he said his rotation could be 9, 10 or 11 players. He can't envision going less deep than that. You need that deep of a rotation if you're going non-stop. (Last year, with 255 games lost to injury, he often only had that many players suited up!) Also, he identified C.J. Watson, Marshon Brooks, Josh Childress, Mirza Teletovic and Andray Blatche as his second unit, with Keith Bogans pushing at the wing spots. Athletes all.
Specifically, Johnson told reporters, "The problem is, Keith Bogans, he's a great defender, man. He has skill and experience that you can depend, and Deron can play some two. So do you go with a 10-man rotation, or do you go with nine? Do you go to an 11-man because you've got guys like Reggie (Evans) and my young boy 'Toko' (Tornike Shengelia). Josh Childress also wants some minutes. It's going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. But the main thing is, whether we go with nine or 10, I don't see it being any less than nine.
And if you need any more proof running is on the agenda, everyone was "clearly gassed" at the end of practice today, as Tim Bontemps noted. There were lots of missed layups and short shots in the final full court scrimmage. Two players were limited. Andray Blatche sat out the second half of the scrimmage with back spasms, saying he hurt it guarding Brook Lopez. Tyshawn Taylor is nursing a quad strain. Johnson characterized both injuries as minor. They will be back at it Wednesday night.
Finally, Deron Williams took note of the stories questioning how well he and Joe Johnson could play together, joking their partnership isn't working and one of them has to go. Then he tells JJ it's him who has to be traded.
- D-Will thinks Nets backcourt duo will be 'a great fit' - Rod Boone - New York Newsday
- Taylor, Blatche sit out Nets practice with injuries - Tim Bontemps - New York Post Nets Blog
- Spasms stop Blatche at morning practice - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- D-Will promises to get better on D - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Depth gives Nets options for rotation - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Stackhouse taking role as player and coach - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- D-Will on JJ: This isn't working (wink, wink) - Brooklyn Nets Blog - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets' Forwards Turning 'Curtains' into 'Walls' - Ben Couch - Brooklyn Nets
- Avery Johnson Interview (Video) - Brooklyn Nets
- As Camp Opens, MarShon Brooks Gets Back to Business - Josh Newman - SNY