The Nets preseason came to a close with their third straight loss, a 97-95 overtime defeat at the hands of the Knicks at Nassau Coliseum on Wednesday. Much like they did in Boston eight days earlier, the Nets' third string pulled off a late-game comeback. But this time, they couldn't hold on for the win.
The Nets were in control early, leading 23-16 at the end of the first quarter. But the Knicks began the second with a 9-0 run and the game was tight until late in the third. A 7-0 Knicks run spanning the third and the fourth put them up eight. They led by as many as 12 with seven minutes to go, before Tyshawn Taylor led a Nets comeback.
MarShon Brooks gave the Nets an 86-84 lead with 1:01 left in regulation, but the Knicks tied the game on the next possession. Then the Nets missed five shots on their next possession and Mychel Thompson missed a chance to win it for the Knicks at the buzzer.
Though back-to-back threes from Steve Novak and Thompson gave the Knicks a four-point lead with less than a minute to go in overtime, the Nets still had a chance to tie or take the lead in the final seconds. But Brooks' attempt at a game-tying drive rolled off the rim.
Neither team shot well overall, but the Knicks outscored the Nets 36-15 from the 3-point line. The Nets had just eight assists on their 35 field goals. Deron Williams was the only Net in double-figures after regulation, scoring 22 points on 7-for-16 shooting. Brooks finished with 11 points, but missed eight of his 10 shots. Taylor added 10 points on 5-for-8 from the field.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Knicks vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Knicks vs. Nets: First half (Video) - NBA.com
- Knicks beat Nets in tuneup for season opener - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Knicks Beats Nets on Night When Everything Seems Off - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Tyson Chandler Hurt in Knicks Exhibiton Game - Nate Taylor - New York Times
- Nets still an unfinished product - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets return to Long Island roots - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Tyson Chandler injures left knee against Nets - Al Iannazzone - Newsday
- Tyson Chandler's knee injury throws scare into Knicks - Al Iannazzone - Newsday
- Nets turn focus to real battle on opening night - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Chandler hurts knee in Knicks’ preseason victory, will have MRI exam - Marc Berman - New York Post
- New York coach Mike Woodson has gash over right eye - Marc Berman & Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Chandler leaves preseason game with knee injury - Frank Isola - NY Daily News
- D-Will: Knicks 'not my friends anymore' - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Tyson Chandler of New York Knicks injures knee and will undergo MRI - Ian Begley - ESPN New York
- Rapid Reaction: Knicks 97, Nets 95 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Rapid Reaction: Knicks 97, Nets 95 - Ian Begley - ESPN New York
- Tyson Chandler Postgame: OT Win vs. Nets (Video) - MSG
- Carmelo Postgame: OT Win vs. Nets (Video) - MSG
- Kidd Postgame: OT Win vs. Nets (Video) - MSG
- Knicks' center Tyson Chandler just the latest to go down with an injury - Tony Williams - Star-Ledger
- Knicks’ Chandler Injured in Brooklyn Win - Adam Zagoria - Zags Blog
- Net Worth: Knicks 97, Nets 95 - Devin Kharpertian - Nets Are Scorching
- Nets have work to do after underwhelming finish - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner