Forest City "evaluating economics" of Nets stake for possible sale?

Brooklyn Nets/Adam Pantozzi

At a meeting of investors and analysts at Barclays Center Monday, Forest City Enterprises executives said they are "evaluating the economics" of its minority stake in the Nets, indicating Bruce Ratner's parent company may sell.

"We're currently evaluating the economics of the team in Brooklyn," Forest City executive Jim Lester said, according to Atlantic Yards Report, which reported on a webcast of the meeting. "As [arena/team CEO] Brett [Yormark] said, the sales going well. Player salaries are expensive, and the new CBA penalizes franchises for having hefty player salaries, so we're working through that now."

The Cleveland-based company, run by Ratner's extended family, owns 12.37 percent of the team while other associated investors own a combined 7.63 percent for a total of 20 percent. Mikhail Prokhorov's ONEXIM Sports and Entertainment Holdings USA owns 80 percent of the team. FCE owns 34.01 percent of the arena, associated investors another 20.99 percent and ONEXIM 45 percent. FCE ate tens of millions of dollars in Nets operating losses over the last decade.

Most of the meeting was taken up with positive reports on the Nets and Barclays Center's profitability. Yormark said the the Nets are now in the top five in the NBA in terms of gate revenue and that Opening Night vs the Knicks should be "the biggest gate ever in the history of the franchise, over $2 million."

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join NetsDaily

You must be a member of NetsDaily to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at NetsDaily. You should read them.

Join NetsDaily

You must be a member of NetsDaily to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at NetsDaily. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9347_tracker