Defense was again the issue as the Nets dropped their second game in as many nights at Barclays Center on Friday.
The Nets dropped to 3-2 on the preseason with their second loss in as many nights at the Barclays Center, a 106-96 defeat at the hands of the Sixers.
After a back-and-forth first quarter, the Sixers took control with a 10-0 run midway through the second. They led by eight at the half and by as many as 13 in the third. The Nets got to within a basket on multiple occasions in the second half, but could never tie or take the lead, and Nick Young hit a dagger three to put the Sixers up eight with 31 seconds left in the game.
Defense was again the issue, as the Sixers shot 49 percent from the field and grabbed 16 offensive rebounds. The Nets shot 44 percent, and were just 6-for-21 from three-point range.
Brook Lopez led the Nets with 23 points and nine rebounds, but got blocked by Dorell Wright on a crucial possession down the stretch. Deron Williams added 22 points and Joe Johnson finally shot well at Barclays Center, scoring 18 points on 8-for-15 from the field. But C.J. Watson, Keith Bogans and Kris Humphries combined to shoot just 3-for-18.
Thaddeus Young led seven Sixers in double-figures with 24 points.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Sixers vs. Nets: First half (Video) - NBA.com
- Nets vs. Sixers - Game Highlights (Video) - Brooklyn Nets
- Nets vs. Sixers - Postgame Interviews (Video) - Brooklyn Nets
Photo Gallery - Nets -vs- Sixers Preseason Game 5 - Nathaniel S. Butler - NBA.com
- 76ers hold on to beat Nets in Brooklyn - AP
- Nets Fall to 76ers for 2nd Straight Preseason Loss - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Rapid Reaction: 76ers 106, Nets 96 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- D-Will: 'We're not there yet' - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets come up short against Sixers - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Mr. Whammy forced to relocate near media table to continue heckling opposing free throw shooters - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets center off to hot start in Brook-lyn - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Johnson faced with tough rotation decisions as preseason wanes - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Young helps 76ers improve to 4-1 in preseason with win over Nets - John N. Mitchell - Philadelphia Inquirer
- Sixers frontcourt frenzy - Chris Branch - Cherry Hill Courier-Post
- Holiday passes latest test in Sixers' victory - A. Sherrod Blakely - Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia
- Sixers hold off Nets - Chris Branch - Wilmington News Journal