Eric Hartline-US PRESSWIRE
In their first game with the name "Brooklyn" on their chests, the Nets came out strong and held on to beat the Sixers in overtime, 108-105, at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.
Near the end of the Brooklyn Nets' first game ever, a spontaneous chant broke out in Atlantic City's cavernous Convention Hall. With the Nets up by three and only four seconds left in overtime, the arena was filled with "Brook-lyn, Brook-lyn." Their first game...in an away arena.
The game itself was a thriller. The Nets blew an 18-point lead after Avery Johnson pulled the starters in the third quarter. Still, they managed to come back in overtime to pull out a 108-105 preseason victory over the 76ers in Atlantic City. Bottom line: the Nets' starters, C.J. Watson and Andray Blatche looked good, but the rest of the bench struggled.
The Nets took control with an 11-0 run late in the first quarter, with Deron Williams scoring nine of the 11 points on the run. They led by seven at the half behind 12 points and eight rebounds from Brook Lopez.
Gerald Wallace scored the team's first nine points of the second half and the Nets built their lead to 18 points midway through the period. The Nets' bench went cold late in the fourth quarter, and the Sixers closed to within two with less than two minutes to go. Damian Wilkins then tied the game at the free throw line with 45 seconds left.
After C.J. Watson missed a three, the Sixers couldn't corral the rebound and the Nets had a chance for the final shot. After a timeout, Watson drove and missed at the buzzer, sending the game to overtime.
The Sixers took their first lead early in the extra period, but Nick Young missed a jumper, Watson put the Nets up three with four seconds to go. Young then missed a three at the buzzer to give the Nets the victory. The Nets held Philly scoreless in the last 1:45 of overtime.gave the Nets a 106-105 lead with a jumper with 27 seconds left. After
Lopez and Watson led the Nets with 19 points apiece. Lopez added nine rebounds and three blocks. Wallace finished with 18 points and seven boards, while Williams and Joe Johnson combined for 27 points and nine assists. Mirza Teletovic couldn't buy a bucket, shooting just 2-for-13.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Nets hold off 76ers in OT in Brooklyn debut - Dan Gelston - AP
- 1st Brooklyn Nets HIGHLIGHTS!! (Video) - Pete Tenney - Brooklyn Fans
Humphries Dunk: 1st Brooklyn Nets Bucket (Video) - Pete Tenney - Brooklyn Fans
- Nets Sharp, and Winners, in Preseason Opener - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Nets win, Lopez rebounds in first game since surgery - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- Brooklyn Nets win first preseason game - Tim Bontemps - NY Post
- Mirza Teletovic of Brooklyn Nets has one role with team: shoot the ball - Tim Bontemps - NY Post
- Nets look sharp as they open preseason against Sixers - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Brooklyn Nets show speed in OT win over 76ers - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets 108, Sixers 105: #WeTalkinBoutPreseason - Devin Kharpertian - Nets Are Scorching
- Nearly 6,900 fans watch 76ers fall to Nets in OT at Boardwalk Hall - Mike McGarry - Press of Atlantic City
- Instant Replay: Sixers fall to Nets in overtime - Dei Lynam - CSN Philly
- Collins tells three vets to enjoy the shore - Dei Lynam - CSN Philly
- Sixers still a work in progress after loss to Nets - John Finger - CSN Philly
- Sixers post-game interviews (Video) - Philadelphia 76ers
- Doug Collins laments conditioning as 76ers lose to Nets - John N. Mitchell - Philadelphia Inquirer
- Lopez leads Nets past 76ers in first game as Brooklyn - CBS Sports
- Nets vs. Sixers Game Center (Preseason Game 1) - Brooklyn Nets