Jim O'Connor-US PRESSWIRE - Presswire
Ho-hum, just another day in Netsland: Sports Illustrated cover story revealed, more enticing details of "The Association" disclosed, SportsCenter feature goes online and more practice, practice, practice.
The biggest deal was the SI cover. Deron Williams becomes the first Net to grace a Sports Illustrated's cover since Jason Kidd ten years ago. It's the first time a professional athlete from Brooklyn has been on the cover in 55 years.
The cover became a touchstone for a discussion about pressure, which Avery Johnson batted away with a joke. Rod Boone asked Johnson if all the national exposure puts any pressure on the Nets to live up to hype. The coach replied with a laugh, "I hope so," then joked he's glad SI didn't tab them as NBA champs because that can be "the kiss of death."
Avery Johnson may also have been trying to damp down the clamor around the November 1 game between the Knicks and Nets. Joe Johnson likened the hype to a Game 7 in the SportsCenter video. If the Nets win, the coach said, "some people are going to want to have a Mardi Gras parade, but I won't be on one of the floats."
Joe Johnson also said D-Will being on the cover alone didn't bother him. "I'm proud of him," said JJ, the other half of "Brooklyn's Backcourt."
The trailer from "The Association" released Wednesday gave fans a hint of what the series will look like when the first episode, "Hello Brooklyn" airs on October 16. Brooklynites including Boro President Marty Markowitz, director Spike Lee and actress Rosie Perez talk to camera about what it means to Brooklyn while Billy King and Tyshawn Taylor laments being hurt.talk about what it all means for the team. In another sound bite,
In a clip of the first episode, King also says Williams told him this summer that he and the Nets should not to wait for Dwight Howard. King told NBA TV cameras, "One thing Deron did say to me, he said, 'Please, just don't wait on Dwight. We can't wait and not have a team'."
In practical (practice) notes, Jerry Stackhouse traveled to Atlanta to get acupuncture treatment and Josh Childress sat because of a left quad contusion. got some non-contact work in, as his quad strain eased. And no, D-Will was not taking any more questions about Mark Cuban.
- Newest Sign the Nets Have Arrived: A Reality Show - Howard Beck - New York Times
- D-Will to Billy: Don't wait on Dwight - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Johnson: We'll still have 81 games left - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- D-Will done talking about Cuban, Mavs - Rod Boone - All Nets
- Nets embracing spotlight and expectations - Rod Boone - New York Newsday
- Nets' Deron done talking about Cuban, Mavericks - Tim Bontemps - New York Post Nets Blog
- Brooklyn Nets realize they must play up to the preseason hype - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- PHOTO: Deron Williams on cover of Sports Illustrated - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- Brooklyn Nets hype continues to grow before first game - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Deron Williams told Nets GM, 'Don't wait on Dwight' - Scott Gleeson - USA Today
- The Association: Brooklyn Nets (Video) - NBA TV
- SI tablet cover of Deron Williams comes with video - USA Today
- Hello Brooklyn (Video) - Mark Schwartz - ESPN