Hockey will be played at Barclays Center. The Nets officially announced Tuesday that the New York Islanders will play a preseason game in Brooklyn on Oct. 2, just four days after the official opening of the Nets' new arena.
The Islanders, not the Nets, will play the first pro sports game of any kind at the new arena.
And the Islanders' opponent for the game will be the Nets' current landlord at the Prudential Center, the New Jersey Devils.
"We already have some of the most passionate fans in the league supporting our young team, and we are looking forward to expanding our base into Brooklyn," said Islanders GM Garth Snow. Brett Yormark left no doubt that this is an audition for a permanent move when the Islanders lease at Nassau Coliseum runs out in 2015. In a phone conversation with the Times Tuesday, Yormak said, “We would love for [Islander owner] Charles [Wang] to consider Brooklyn.”
- Islanders to play first NHL Game at Barclays Center in Brooklyn - New Jersey Nets
- Islanders-Devils to play at Barclays Center - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
Testing the Ice Where Hockey Was an Afterthought - Liz Robbins - New York Times
- Islanders to Play Devils in Preseason Game at New Arena in Brooklyn - Jeff Z. Klein & Chris Botta - New York Times
Islanders, Devils to play at Brooklyn arena next preseason - Rich Calder - New York Post
Islanders head to Brooklyn - for one game - New York Newsday
- Islanders-Devils to Be First NHL Game Played at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center - Eben Novy-Williams - Bloomberg News
- Devils and Islanders will play 2012 preseason game in Brooklyn - Rich Chere - Star-Ledger
- UPDATE: Islanders to play in Brooklyn! - Don McLeod - Brooklyn Paper
The Islanders Are Coming! The Islanders Are Coming! - Neil deMause - Village Voice
Islanders To Play Preseason Game in Brooklyn; Ironic Glasses Optional - Dominik - Lighthouse Hockey